11

Virgil groaned as turned in his bed. He huffed as he blinked his eyes open to see the golden circlet just resting on his nightstand, the memories of the day prior flitting through his head. He shook himself out of his thoughts, kicking his feet over the edge of the bed, as he picked the circlet up with a sad look in his eyes. He gently placed it in his hair just staring at himself in the mirror before ripping it off of him and setting it down with the rest of his gifts. That was when he noticed it... There was no new outfit that morning.

Virgil frowned as he looked around the room. For three days in a row, Roman had given him a brand new outfit every morning when he woke up, and yet there wasn't ANYTHING new. Not even a small trinket. Part of Virgil was happy. Maybe that meant Roman had given up. Except... If Roman gave up, Virgil was worried about what that meant for the prince.

It only made that worry worse when walked into Roman's room to see the prince in a very worrisome state. As mentioned before Roman slept as if there wasn't a care in the world. He's relaxed, untroubled by anything... more often than not on his chest and loose as if his whole body turned to mush the second he laid on the bed. However Roman now... well...

He was curled up into a fetal position tightly wrapped around a pillow. His head was pushed far into it as his hand clutched so tightly they were digging into it, cutting the case. The blanket was thrown to the edge of the bed as if it had somehow offended the prince and even in his sleep he was shivering. Virgil couldn't help but wonder if the prince was even asleep... or if he had been awake and just didn't want to move.

He cleared his throat, trying to make a sound but Roman didn't move. Which was odd by itself as Roman was a very VERY light sleeper. He wined under his nerves as he quickly drew a bath. Something told him Roman needed it. When he came back into the room Roman STILL hadn't moved, and Virgil was starting to get a bit too anxious. He swallowed his fear as he slowly made his way over to the bed, and gently placed a hand on Roman's shoulder noticing right away how the prince jerked at the contact. Roman groaned and curled up more into the pillow. It seemed like every muscle in his body was tense.

Virgil made a very soft humming sound noticing how Roman twitched before finally moving his face from where it was buried into the pillow. Virgil could tell, before Roman even moved his fingers, that he was going to have to get the prince a new one.

"Poppet?" Roman yawned, his mind still not entirely awake. "Wha-..." He stopped, hearing the bath running, as he realized it was time to wake up. "Oh." Roman sighed as he forced himself to unlatch from his pillow. His body was sore from having slept too tightly wound and he winced as he tried to stretch himself out. He didn't bother to say anything else. He didn't want to. He just got up and went in to bathe, leaving Virgil there alone in the silence.

That's how it went that whole morning. Virgil would help, thus doing his job, and Roman would go about his business without uttering a single word to him. There was nothing said or done.

It took until Roman was putting on a nice jacket for Virgil to realize that the entire time Roman hadn't tried to give him anything red. There was no gift... no asking Virgil to wear anything. There was nothing. Roman didn't even look at him once the entire time they were there, and Virgil didn't know how he felt about it. No, he did not want any more gifts... but the idea of Roman not even looking at him made his gut curl up in concern.

The two walked in silence before meeting up with Logan, who frowned the second he noticed the look in Roman's eyes. The prince looked just... purely defeated.

"We're going back to town. Hopefully, we can talk to one of the guards again. Maybe even see one of the infected. Just..." Roman's voice was hollow as he stared off at nothing. "Just make sure you are prepared. I want to leave as soon as we can."