Chapter 12

JayJay

I sat down on the counter while he made us some steak, bacon, and sausage omelettes. He was on the phone with his PR, who was advising him to make a public apology, at least to his fans who were supposed to meet him backstage. He didn't object to this because he said the children aren't an issue. After he hung up he hopped up on the counter by the stove, biting his nails.

"Everything peachy?" I asked.

"Yeah, guess after I apologize, it will all be good." He kissed his teeth. "Shit I had a bad night, but it's like I'm not suppose to feel anything because the money I make....feel I'm becoming a robot to the world."

"It's kinda what you signed up for,"

"Duh, but at the same time I ain't bout to just be handled. I deserve what's happening in my life." He shrugged. "Least I wanna believe I do."

"Why wouldn't you?"

"This is all I ever wanted and I'm here but,"

"Buttttt?" I catch his eyes gazing at me softly and I know without words the underlining meaning. "Have I changed things for you?"

"You have changed everything." I can't stare into his eyes for too long..I start to forget myself, or what it is I'm even doing.

************

"You was sick or something?" Kenny didn't even give me a chance to get my foot inside the gym.

"Can I put my stuff done before you start yappin?"

"Been working with you for twelve years now and you have never missed training."

"I had things to take care of," what he was buggin.

"More important than this?"

I had to think long and hard, because was Jaylen more important? Naw, that's pushing it. That's love talk.

"See I know something is up...you always put fighting above everything. Now you hesitate to answer a simple question."

"Man let's just do this."

Kenny walked up behind me and pushed me.

"Nigga have you lost yo fuckin mind?" I turned to meet him at eye level.

"Keep the focus,"

"Man I have won all three fights and im being pressed? You sitting on $30,000 and you doing all this."

"Spoken just like a ignorant fool about to start letting the fame go to his big ass head."

I was about to react but looked over and noticed someone recording us. Once my eyes landed on them, they froze.

Kenny reacted faster. "You ain't read the rules?"
He pointed to a book sign in on the wall. "No fucking cameras in here." Kenny walked over and snatched the phone. He went and deleted the video.

"Delete it form the deleted album as well."

"Okay," after he was done he yanked the man up by his shirt and threw him and his phone out.

"They starting this shit now." I climbed inside the ring.

"We have to start closing down the gym for your training...that was on me. You are a celebrity boxer now, ain't no way around that."

Kenny held up the boxing pads. "Still just me,"

"Maybe in here, but to the rest of the world 'Stone West' is a walking payday."

"Guess you see the lil name they gave me?" I did a quick combo.

He smiled. "I say stick wit it,"

"I'll think about it."