'Almost'

KARNA

"Don't worry Karna, just couple more days and we can leave the place." Duryodhaan says holding his mace tightly. I just give him a chuckle. My embarrassment and sadness is making me pretend as if it doesn't matter. And something inside me says I should stay.

"Areh Anga Raj, don't tell me a girl you met some day ago is more important than your friend who was there for you all the time." Mama Sakunee says in a mocking tone.

I got pretty defensive. "I wanted to leave the moment her varmala touched him. But you said leaving now would be bad for Duryodhaan since MahaMaheem Beeshma must have heard about Pandavs and will talk about laksha grah. I wanted to leave when I heard she's marrying all five of them but you said we should attend the marriage from grooms side for Duryodhaan. And I stayed. And now after the wedding also you are saying we should wait till Mantri Vidur reaches tomorrow. And I am staying. So why do you have to always say that?"

"Don't listen to him Mitra."Duryodhaan pats my back hard. "Mama Shree, why would he want her even after staying quite when everything was happening? And if he had he would have told me. I know he hates her now. Right Karna?"

"Right" I say as straight as i can.

Aswathama gets up from his seat and tells Duryodhaan, "You, mama shree and Dusassan go your cousins. I have to give Draupadi Ashirvad . If pitashree knows I didn't, then he will not leave me." He signs his hand to come along, "Mitra Karna, walk with me. I don't want to walk alone."

Fearing they would think I her marriage is affecting me, I gets up and grab my crown.

Dusassan says, "She looks really beautiful with chudamani." as three of them walks out.

My heart stops at the reminder that my name is not written in her chudamani.

"I only wanted you to be my brother-in-law." Aswathama says slowly.

DRAUPADI

Shikandhi jiji grabs my hand and makes me sit. "You've been pacing for hours now. You must be tired just sit down."
I look at her wanting to know what's going on. Just then, a dwarpal comes in, "Dron putra Aswathama and Anga Raj Karna is here!!"

I look towards them and sees him behind bhratashree Aswathama, wanting to leave.

Shikhandi jiji gets up and welcomes them as I support myself to stand in front of him.

Bhrataa Aswathama comes to me as I stand there unable to move and says, "May your husband live long." And I fold my hands. I need to grab myself.

By now Shikhandi jiji must have also sensed something she starts talking to bhrata Aswathama and both of them walks away near the door.

I sit down, unable to stand anymore and turn my face away from him.

"I can't give you the same ashirvad Aswathama gave, so ask for anything else." Karna says with a heavy voice but calm.

I know he must be angry, but I am angry too. "That ashirvad doesn't make me happy either."

"Why?" He ask.

I turn to him and snap, "Are you taunting me? Do you think this is what I wanted?"

He comes a step closer, "If you are not fine why didn't you say so?"

"Who will listen to me? Who will listen to me in a world where I was only taught to obey?"

"I would have."

"I have no say in anything yet I carry my fathers reputation so as long as I live, I have to make sure that I serve my loyalty to them until I die." I said loudly unable to keep it inside anymore.

"If its your wish, my chariot is ready." his voice firm and sincere.

For a second I wanted to say yes. But I know what will happen. Hastinapur won't stay quiet. Kampeliya won't stay still. And his life along with mine, Kampiliya, Hastinapur and my family will suffer. "I can't even dream that." "You should go." I said wiping my tears.

He speaks softly looking at me, "It just kills me every time I think that you should be mine. That now you are their 'Panchali'. I wanted to be with you." He touch his face and as he head for the door he says, "But Karna's story won't be complete without Draupadi. Your Swayamvar has lit up the anger that I have kept suppress all my life"

Shikhandi jiji rubs my back as she hugs me. "You will soon forget about him."

Unable to trust her words, I still stare at the entrance.