Tell Us About Your Love

DRAUPADI

The more I get to know Duryodhaan, it feels like he have changed a lot. I always felt like he would be disrespectful towards me, but he isn't. He ate the snacks I prepared silently. Durshala teases him from time to time but most of the meal only me and Durshala talks. Bhanu who likes my food a lot doesn't eat from shyness. I don't say anything, I also don't know what to do to make them talk, or talk myself.

"Bhabhishree its very tasty, I was missing Panchal's food." Duryodhaan breaks the silence. 

"You should have told me before, if you like it I will make more." I reply.
He finishes his food. "Please do. When we came to Panchal we ate a lot of food and really liked it but the one you makes taste even better." 

I wondered if Karna also likes the food. "Tell me whenever you want to eat."

"Wait a minute." Durshala says. I already know what she is wondering and hope she won't bring it up in front of Bhanu. "Bhratashree, you went to attend Bhabhishree Draupadi's swayamvar right. My husband told me. Did you lose?" 

I don't want jealousy or misunderstand in my new found friendship with Bhanu. "He just attended. He didn't participate." I clear up.

But Durshala isn't done. "Why?" she ask me.

"I went to secure a relationship for Hastinapur and Panchal." Duryodhaan answer his sister. "Moreover, if a friend wants to marry someone other friends should back off." 

Bhanu smiles at his word, I also wanted to, knowing which friend he is talking about but I suppressed my smile.

When I was preparing food, Matashree Kunti came in. "Putri please be nice to him. I couldn't give Karna any love, I couldn't tell my sons to not be disrespectful towards him. But you please be nice to him. I want to see a day where they eat together, and laugh together before I die. But I can't reveal my secret to anyone, not even my sons. You won't see each other much anyway, so please be nice to him when you can." 

As a woman, I can understand her fear. But as a daughter, as a daughter-in-law, I cannot understand how she can do this to his sons, especially the one she abandoned. She should be making up for leaving him but no, she still cares about what people will think, not how her son will feel when he finds out his mother was there all along, watching him get insulted for being a low caste. She should have at least said there's nothing wrong in being low-caste. That one should not be treated differently based on birth.

Durshala keeps asking about my swayamvar and Duryodhaan narrates how they came to Panchal a month before and all the things they did, what happened amoug the Kings who came to participate, seeing Bhanu excited to hear the story.
I wish they pick up another story but at least they are enjoying the talk.

KARNA

I wonder if I have offended any of the Gods recently. Why do I have to hear about her swayamvar every where I go? Or did I do something to Duryodhaan, why is he telling this? I came with Aswathama as promised but if I had known I will be hearing this again, I wouldn't have. Or maybe I will. I steel glances at Draupadi, she also doesn't seem much excited. She doesn't talk much either. She didn't look well before also. I hope she is fine.

"Bhrata Karna, you also participated right?" Durshala ask the one question I hoped she wouldn't. She's teasing me on purpose, everyone knows how it went.

"I am sensitive to that incident." I said in all seriousness but it must have come off funny, everyone laughs. Draupadi also smiles a little. For that smile, Durshala can ask me the question again and again. I can't help myself wonder how my life would be if she was my Queen. I think I will forget my responsibilities and Duryodhaan will curse me for never leaving my wife's side. But I would be so happy.