Who's in Hastinapur?

DRAUPADI

Ever since we reached Hastinapur I mostly stay in my chamber. I do go out for evening scroll but mostly in the garden. The palace surely seems empty. My husbands are not here, many princes are in the border. For Duryodhaan and his friends, I don't know. I am just always with Malini. Matashree is also with Jyesth mata.

The two old queens does have a lovely relation, they cry a lot too when they are together. I was with them few hours ago. And they started talking about more marriage for my husbands already. Kings are inviting them to attend swayamvar of their daughter. Jyesth mata says we should not anger the Kings who are coming with direct proposals of their sister and daughters. I had no idea about this. I didn't know this. Shouldn't they at least tell me this? Noticing my blank face Mata Kunti says, "They will decide after the Bhoomi Pooja. Draupadi will take most of the decision now anyway." My mother-in-law starts narrating stories of how I keep all her sons in line and how much they adore me. She's telling that to Jyesth mata Gandhari but she wanted me to hear.

After coming back to the chamber I was staying in I cried non-stop. Is this my life now? Away for few days and already forgotten? Already talking about other marriage? After putting me in this dilemma they just move on with their life so easily. And what do I do when they all goes to the wives they don't share? Do they miss me? They do send me letters saying they will come get me soon.

Malini consoles me saying different things. She's younger than me but has seen more of the world since I was born as a grown lady. I just digested the fact that I am married to 5 brothers, and now its time for their other marriage already? I just wanted a simple life where I will love one man and he will love me and me only.

I surely was furious after crying a lot and in that I discovered a new side of me. I can go on days without eating anything when I am angry. I can go days without talking to anyone. I throw tantrums. Mata Kunti and Jyesth mata ask to see me and I didn't go, they already must be regretting having me as a daughter-in-law. "I don't feel anything. Not love, not sadness, nothing. I am a stone. I am a stone." I tell myself. Few days more, I didn't go out of the chamber.

I sit on the balcony after taking my bath as Malini combs my hair.
"Maharani, they say you can't go out in public with your hair open if your husband is alive. What will you do if one dies and others are alive." Malini asks. "Please forgive me Maharani, I should have watch my mouth."

"It's fine Malini. It's a question I often ask myself."
I do wonder a lot of things. I have a lot of question.
I can hear the servants running around in the hall. Usually morning is quite as everyone does aarti and pooja.

"Malini, ask them if everything is fine." I wonder if something bad happened.

A dasi comes and informs me. "Anga Raj Karna has kidnapped Kashi Princess Bhanumati from her swayamvar, Maharani. And they are entering the palace."

I could feel my heart getting twisted. 'How come he didn't try to kidnap me?' was the first thought that comes to my mind. It didn't take me even a second to realise that if he did, he would be fighting against Arjun, his own brother.
If Pandavs gets married again I will be angry i know, I will be sad. But here I have to pretend I don't feel anything.

KARNA

I wait outside as Duryodhaan talks with his family. I was against kidnapping a princess from her swayamvar initially but Bhanumati also wanted to marry Duryodhaan only. Her father was planning to marry her off against her will. Her father didn't want Duryodhaan as his son-in-law. And who would understand that pain more than me? So I helped. Bhanumati is also a nice girl, got to know her a bit more during our journey from Kashi to Hastinapur.

A guard informs me that I am asked to come inside.

When I entered, everyone was there, anger clearly shown on their face. Ganga Putra Bhisma, maha mantri Vidur, Kul guru Kripachariya, Guru Dronachariya. Duryodhaan calls them 'team Pandavs'. And Maharaj Dhritarastra, Mamashree Sakunee, sits with their head down. Duryodhaan and Dusassan looks happy seeing me.

"Anga Raj Karna, we heard you were the one who kidnapped the Kashi princess, so you have to marry her. Duryodhaan cannot." Mahamahim Bhisma orders me.

"I cannot do that Mahamahim, she is someone my friend wish to marry, and I kidnapped her at her own will to marry my friend." I tell him with respect.

But they were not ready to listen. They started scolding Duryodhaan and telling him what's right and what's wrong. He just stands there fumming with anger. Duryodhaan may not be pure gold but today I understand him a bit, and his anger towards these noble men.
Mama Sakuni tells Duryodhaan to stay quiet. I know what he means. He will make Duryodhaan stay quiet, might not even let him marry Bhanu and blame everything to his paternal side of the family, then use that anger for something unholy.

Usually I stay quiet and doesn't involve in family issues but as Surya Dev says, I should know when to stand up for what I belief in and not just follow. I want Duryodhaan to be a better person. I want him out of Mama Sakuni's evil wing.

"Mahamahim forgive me, but what is so wrong with what we did? Didn't you yourself kidnapped brides for your brother? Duryodhaan is no less than a brother to me." Yes, I brought out the infamous story of Bhisma kidnapping 3 princesses and getting cursed.

He looks at me and says, "And I will pay the price for that. I just want you all to have respectable wedding like the Pandu's son." I think he is attacking me on purpose by bringing up Draupadi's wedding.

"How is my condition different than theirs? I also brought the bride from her swayamvar" Duryodhaan asked them, eyes wide open.

Maha Mantri Vidhur shakes his head, "How is this the same Putra?"

"The only difference between their wedding and mine is Maharaj Drupad wanted Bhabhishree Draupadi to marry a man who can shoot the fish's eyes and Bhanumati wants to marry me." Duryodhaan says.

All these talk makes me feel uneasy. After some discussion, they gives permission to marry after some weeks as the matter needs to be brought up in court and her family should be invited. Kul Guru Kripachariya rushes to check an auspicious day. Even after the heated argument, Mahamahim Bishma reminds us to eat something before resting. He reminds Maha Mantri Vidur that it's the King's first son's marriage, the celebration should be grand.

While coming out of the room, Duryodhaan said something I never expected him to say. "Pitamah is just strong outside. He loves us a lot and always agree to our demand in the end. I just don't know how to talk and it sounds like I don't respect him. Thank you for standing up for me, and I will learn how to speak to elders from you."

Few weeks away from Mama Sakunee, supporting when he is not wrong and a little affection from his family, and Duryodhaan is already changing for better.

We were going to have a meal when Mahamahim Bhisma stops Duryodhaan and says, "Inform your cousins, but Draupadi is already here so tell her the good news yourself."
She's here?

PLEASE VOTE AND LEAVE COMMENT, IT REALLY MOTIVATES TO WRITE

BTW WILL KARNA BE ABLE TO CHANGE DURYODHAAN? AND HOW IS THE STORY