Wedding Fever

DRAUPADI

I did my duty as the eldest daughter-in-law of the family. After learning the fact that she's going to marry Duryodhaan it became much easier to welcome her. I show her around the palace and gave her a golden bangle. It was one of the gifts I received from my father, he was not very affectionate towards me at first, we didn't spend much time either, there was always a wall between us. He gave me this bangle along with other stuff and said, "I will try to be a better father." After that I received a lot of gift from everyone in my family but I had no one to share. 

Bhanumati spends most of her time with me. She eagerly waits for her parents approval. Some elders went to Kashi to talk things out and inform her family that Hastinapur will hold the wedding in a month. She follows me everywhere, she is not familiar with the people in the palace yet, neither am I but I pretend and act as if nothing scares me. I am afraid of a lot of things. I also like spending time with her. 

"Maharani, please show me the best part of this marvelous palace." Bhanumati says.
Why is everyone asking me about my favorite part of the palace or is that a normal question?

Bhanu is young and curious, and simple. She takes things lightly unlike me. She always wishes to see Duryodhaan but its not easy for them to meet privately. I made her some food, she says its the best she's eaten in a long time. I wish I could feed more people.

"Maharani, can I ask you one thing?" Bhanumati says very carefully. Everyone has a lot of question for me.

"Ask two. And call me jiji." I tell her. Yes, we have gotten quite close.She asks very softly. "I was just wondering, how is everyone fine with your marriage? They even say its not adhaarma, I don't doubt your purity, I am just curious."
"I also don't know Bhanu. I don't even remember properly. They say a lot of things, gave some examples of a woman marrying multiple men at once. They said in my last life I asked for 5 things in a man. Mahadev told me that's not possible but I was adamant so he gave the boon, those quality are distributed among the brothers.""Do you believe that?" Bhanu asks."I don't know if I believes this but I did know I had no choice. I couldn't return to my father's palace as it will taint his image. I could not say I will marry Arjun even though he was the one who brought me home since he asked me to marry his Jyesth. I couldn't say I will marry Yudhistir since he said he will choose the path of sanyasi with his other four brother and I should marry Arjun. But mata Kunti said they had to share me or else their bond will break.They gave me options that was comfortable to them. And I obliged because I could not bring shame to my Kampilya or Hastinapur. So I brought shame to myself. 'You are doing this adhaarma so everyone else can follow dhaarma, keeping the life you wanted aside, so its not a sin for you.' That's what Govind said." My voice shakes. "But I should be happy, everyone says I am lucky." I always curses myself for remembering Karna at times like this. Although he gave me no promises, I knew it in my heart that he would never share me. And I also would not share him with anyone, no matter which king invites him to attend any swayamvar. 

Bhanu wipes off her tear fast. "I was also in the same boat jiji. I am lucky Yuvraj brought Anga Raj Karna." 

"Bhanu, let's not have this conversation again. I don't want my mother in laws to think they are keeping me unhappy." I hold her hand say.

Before she could respond Durshala comes in running. "Bhabhishree!!"

I have met Drushala few times only, she was already married when I came.

KARNA

I sit uncomfortably in the hall with Duryodhaan and Aswathama. Duryodhaan wanted us to attend the poem recital his mother organized for Durshala as she's here for his marriage. His real reason is to see Bhanumati. He is dying to get married. "Are you that excited to see her? It's not your wedding today. "Ashwathama teases him. 
"You won't understand now. Try finding a love first. I just hope Mahadev won't keep you two kunvaara forever."
Me and Ashwathama look at each other, we are the only ones who knows each others secret. Bhanumati sits among the women with Durshala and other. Maha Mantri Vidur's wife is also here with Maharani Gandhari and Kunti. Draupadi sits near the end. As much attention as she gather, she seems to hate it. I try not to look at her. 'I will be strong'. I tell myself.

The more I control myself not to look at her, the more I feel her gaze falling on me.

The poet recites a poem about a maiden who everyone wishes to see at least once. A maiden who's presence is like gravity, her tame hairs and bow like eyebrows.. 
He goes on describing the maiden. Even though I didn't look at Draupadi, I can clearly see her face on my mind. The poem is about her. 
I remember that evening in the unfinished chamber. How hard to tame her hair was, falling on her face. And my hand removing that hair, gazing her face. 

After the recital Duryodhan says, "I have to talk to talk to Durshala. I need to ask something."
We know who he really wants to talk with. I chat with Aswathama  waiting for Duryodhaan. He comes back and says. "Mitra, did you like the food we ate in Panchal?" 

"I did." How could I not like the food in Panchal.

"Good. We are eating it tonight. Bhabhishree is making snacks for Bhanu and Durshala, we are also going." He says.

"And they agreed to it?" I ask, not believing.

"How can they not, I told Matashree that it would be better if I was close with Bhabhishree and she was so happy she made the plan. Since Durshala is also here it's a great chance to bond. But I said I can't go alone so all the elders ask me to take you guys too." 

"I don't think I will come, I am not hungry, and what will I do there." I refuse.

"You and Aswathama has to come, I need to talk to Bhanu but I can't if you guys don't distract Bhabhishree and Durshala." He is being very irritating.

I really want to eat the food she makes but I also know if I am near her for long, with these people only, they might catch my heart beating for a married woman. And it will be bad for her. Aswathama comes to my rescue. "I also can't come."

"You two can't do this to me. Please help your friend." Duryodhaan says.

"Okay." Aswatham tells him. "I will come with Karna later. You go eat the food with Dusassan and after that we will come for sometimes."

He agrees. "Okay, I'll make up an excuse for you two being late. But surely come. I can't take Dusassan, I need to talk to him too. Okay then, I will go after changing. come soon."

Like that we also got stuck in his love web.