𝟓 - 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐲

That very same week, Max took his flight to Spain. That weekend was the one of the Spanish GP, one where his team was promised to be strong. Consequently, there wasn't much worry to the Dutchman regarding the upcoming race.

The first day on the track unfolded with the customary media and press conferences, casting a spotlight on the drivers. Amidst the orchestrated chaos of the paddock, Max found himself involuntarily scanning the surroundings. His eyes, almost magnetically, sought a particular presence—any hint of red that might catch his attention as people shuffled by.

However, fortune didn't favor him until later that day. Returning to his hotel, Max spotted random crew members ambling about, including some from the Ferrari team. Whether by chance or design, the Dutch driver found himself in the hotel elevator when leaving his room, accompanied not only by his teammate but also the same Ferrari driver he had been looking for earlier on the track.

As the doors slid shut, a moment of surprise seized Max. There, standing before him, was Charles and his girlfriend. A fleeting pause hung in the air, an unspoken acknowledgment of the unexpected encounter. Checo, perhaps sensing Max's astonishment, unintentionally nudged into him, amplifying the awkwardness.

"Hey," Max greeted them, mustering a casual tone as they all shared the confined space of the elevator. The doors closed, sealing the group in. The atmosphere in the elevator crackled with unspoken words.

Standing next to Max was an impossible task for Charles now. He'd admired him in the past on occasion but knowing what it felt like to be fucked all night by him clearly left him with more nerves than he'd hoped for.
"We are in the same conference later," he said to Max, the small talk feeling slightly unnatural but he hoped the nervousness was only noticeable to himself.

To Max's luck, Checo seemed to have no real interest in taking part in this conversation, it was always him who would do most of the talking and that meant that his teammate was usually zoning out with a friendly smile, unless something specific to him was mentioned.

"Oh, yeah?" Max replied, placing his hands into his pockets, a cheeky smile crossing his lips as if to say —I see you.

"Didn't think we'd be in the same hotel, did something happen to your team's usual?" Max asked curiously, his eyes directly focused on the brunette's greenish gaze, only occasionally switching to find the girl beside him who seemed to, much like Checo, stay mostly silent.

Charles struggled against the rising heat that betrayed his attempt at composure. The effort to conceal his flushed face seemed futile, the crimson hue intensifying with each passing second. In a desperate bid to regain control, he redirected his focus, consciously avoiding reading too much into Max's words. He tried to retreat to a mental space untouched by the memories of their shared night.

"We just heard better things about the jacuzzis here," Charles attempted a light-hearted joke, but the unintended undertones hung heavily in the air. His mind betrayed him, conjuring images of Max in the warmth of the water.

The elevator ride, though charged with unspoken dynamics, eventually neared its end. The familiar ding signaled the opening of the doors, and as Alexandra made her way to exit, Charles felt a pang of reluctance. A fleeting wish to linger behind tugged at him, but the reality of the situation anchored him. Any excuse to stay would be not just awkward but suspicious, not only to his girlfriend but also to Checo. With a hidden longing in his gaze, Charles stepped out, leaving the confined space behind, the elevator doors closing, sealing the momentary spell.

"What room are you staying in?" he asked as he followed after the girl, telling himself he was keeping it casual but once he realized he was looking directly into the blue eyes, he shifted his gaze and made it seem like he was asking both of the Red bull drivers, nothing serious simply out of curiosity.