28 - When Gods Bleed

BRAZIL GRAND PRIX

SPRINT RACE

The atmosphere at the track was charged with anticipation as the tension between the Red Bull and Ferrari teams reached its peak. With both Max and Charles vying for the championship title and every point crucial, the rivalry between the two teams intensified.

As they prepared to take to the track, both drivers knew that the sprint race would be a critical opportunity to gain an advantage over their rival. With the eyes of the world upon them, they braced themselves for the challenge ahead, each determined to emerge victorious and inch closer to championship glory.

Under sunny weather, qualifying went through with a warm track, giving Charles a podium for the sprint race and Max a third place due to pit complications in the final quarter of the session.

Finally, after a brief break the cars were positioned for the race start, that was the first time Max truly saw Charles that day— his car directly in front of him in the track.

When the lights went out, Max was quick to gain speed and under the first corner he overtook Checo, who had been in second place. The next twenty laps were composed of a tight battle between the two cars for first position, giving the crowds a true racing performance before the full race on Sunday. The two drivers fought for their position as if it was a definitive of their title, giving headaches to both of their teams as they constantly took risky shots at tight corners.

At the twenty first lap of the race, Max had managed to gain the first position, delivering a solid gap between him and Charles's car. However, in one of the final curves of that lap, Max committed a deadly mistake when trying to block Charles from regaining his position, understeering the car and sending himself into one of the tire barriers.

The screams of disappointed fans roared loud, the sprint race was over for him. Not only did he not win the points he needed for an advantage at the championship but also was left with no points at all. The situation took a toll on him, leaving the blond in his car a few seconds before he finally stepped out, forced to face the disappointment of the public across him.

"Is Max okay?" The Ferrari driver called out on his radio, having watched the scene unfold right in front of him that gave him back the number one spot in a way he would never anticipate— knowing Max wasn't one for mistakes.

"That's first place Charles, keep up the pace and we'll have the championship," the team's excitement came in through the radio, dismissing his own call completely.

"I asked if Max is okay," his voice was grounded and the traces of their excitement could not be found in his own voice.

"Standby," the waiting only pushed to make him more nervous. It was difficult to enjoy it when it felt unfair— he hadn't battled for that position.

"Max has walked out of the car, all is good."

The confirmation he needed.

Charles had delivered a flawless sprint, beating his own previous time near the end and taking the fastest lap. Out of the car, he received an immediate celebration from his team, who not only had a newfound hope at the championship but were in the lead now. The next day's race could give him a huge gap in the championship and with that thought in mind everyone knew there was no more time for celebrations and the sole agenda was doing everything possible to win the next day.

Charles received a couple congratulatory handshakes from other drivers including a Red Bull, but couldn't spot the one he'd been looking for.

In between interviews, Charles texted Max, wondering if he was okay after the crash during the sprint race, "are you hurt?"