𝟐𝟓 - 𝐚𝐦𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐦

The chilly air in the Netherlands bit through Charles's layers, making him wish for an extra jacket. However, his luck turned when he spotted Max, who even in disguise, was unmistakable to him. With a tentative wave, Charles approached slowly, wary not to startle him. As he neared the blond figure, it became evident that Max had also recognized him, regardless of their disguises.

At the sight of Max, Charles's desire to forget Kelly's words intensified. Despite the doubts lingering in his mind, the fact that Max was here with him managed to overshadow his insecurities. Striving to appear like any other two people in the bustling Dutch streets, Charles closed the distance between them. Once near enough, he enveloped Max in a tight hug, seeking solace in the layers that separated them from the cold.

"I'm sorry," Charles started, acknowledging the mess he had created in Max's life. The admission of sleeping with him had come out swiftly in the face of confrontation, leaving no room for denial.

Max reciprocated the hug, offering a reassuring embrace. "It's alright," he whispered, sensing Charles's remorse.

The black car glided through the streets of Amsterdam, the hum of the engine providing a steady background to the conversation within. Max, focused on the road, spoke through the muffled cover he wore, his words a mix of reassurance and vulnerability.

"It's okay," he said, stealing a glance back at Charles, his eyes conveying a genuine understanding. "It was not your fault."

Charles, now seated beside him in the car, absorbed the comfort in Max's words, grateful for the support. The confession that followed, however, took him by surprise. Max's voice carried a hint of uncertainty as he admitted, "I thought you wouldn't want to see me again, honestly."

Max's eyes briefly met Charles's, and the shared understanding lingered in the air before Max's focus returned to the road ahead. The city's lights flickered past them like stars in the urban night sky, casting a reflective glow on the car's windows.

"I wouldn't have ever thought she would do something like that," Max repeated, the disbelief evident in his voice. "I thought about giving you some time alone, but I have to confess I was hoping you'd say you were still here, after all. I doubt I'll really catch much of you in Monza," he added, referring to the next race. "The people there would still recognize you even if there was nothing but a mole of your face uncovered."

Charles couldn't help but feel a sense of warmth at Max's honesty. It was a reassurance that the connection they shared held a significance beyond what happened. The mention of the upcoming race in Monza brought a subtle smile to Charles's face, appreciating Max's attempt to inject a bit of lightness into the heavy atmosphere.

The first smile since the incident at the cottage broke out on Charles' face though it was nearly impossible to tell aside from the squint in his eyes.

"I wish I could say that you were exaggerating but I'm entirely convinced that they have a sixth sense for anything Ferrari," he admitted, reminiscent of past races in Monza where he was forbidden from going anywhere without a level of security, not out of fear of danger to him but simply the crowds that would form.

"Also, I wouldn't have wanted time away," he admitted, his gaze locking in on Max's side profile which was mostly hidden but his eyes, at least to Charles, were unmistakable. "It would have made me think you're not interested anymore..," he admitted, his voice on the softer side of the spectrum, "she said some things-"

"I just want to know if you still want to see me after everything?" Charles's voice faltered, his need for reassurance palpable even though they were currently sharing a car ride, fully disguised, and clearly making an effort to spend time together.