𝟏𝟖 - 𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

Charles spent his week off back home in Monaco, seeking solace in his lonely penthouse. The solitude proved to be a helpful aid in his healing process. There had been no contact between him and the Red Bull driver. Not that he expected it, but he held out hope that Max would change his mind and confess to feeling something back. Perhaps Max had been too afraid to say so. Unfortunately, no call ever came, and during this time off, Charles allowed himself to release every bit of pain he felt, freeing himself from it in time for the next race.

While Max may not believe that anyone else stands a chance at the first-place podium, Charles contemplated that if he learned to turn off his emotions, just as his competitor seemed to have mastered, then maybe he stood a chance.

The next race was scheduled to take place in the Netherlands, but it was definitely not a place Charles was eager to visit. Reminders of Max were sure to haunt the entire country, and waves of adoration for him would simply torment the Ferrari driver. After discussing the matter with his team and insisting that he had some personal issues to resolve at home, Charles was informed that the latest flight he could catch would have him landing only three hours before he had to be in the paddock on Thursday.

Accompanying the information was a stern warning, and the boy understood that, under no circumstances, was he allowed to arrive late. In case his flight was canceled, a jet would be ready for him at a moment's notice.

Recognizing the unprofessionalism of his decision, Charles acknowledged that it was his own personal decision. He had convinced himself that once he stepped foot in the country, his emotions were to be pushed aside. The determination to not let Max come between him and first place fueled this self-imposed rule. Although aware that a week apart had not been sufficient to extinguish his feelings for the other driver, Charles's strong will enabled him to, at the very least, ignore those emotions.

Stepping off the plane, Charles felt the weight of jet lag and momentarily questioned his choices. However, he kept an eye out for the car that had been sent to collect him.

Upon spotting the correct license plates, the trunk of the car opened for him. Before he could arrange his luggage, a man intercepted, not allowing him to lift a single finger.

"Thank you so much," Charles said politely, starting to reach into his wallet for a gratuity tip. However, the voice that responded stopped him in his tracks.

"We know I am stronger, why bother to make you do the heavy lifting," the Spanish accent was indistinguishable and there was no mistaking it for anyone but Carlos.

"They sent you?" Charles asked in shock, a slight smile playing on his face from the sheer absurdity of the situation. His team had been demanding minute-by-minute updates, afraid that he would not be there in time, yet somehow, they still thought to send their second driver out.

"No, I didn't really ask for permission," Carlos replied. His brown eyes subtly scanned his teammate's body, assessing him, and he felt assured that he had made the right choice. If he had learned anything from being with Lando, it was that gestures went a long way.

Once in the car, Carlos prepared to discreetly navigate through the roads back to the paddock, where their team awaited them.

"How was the trip?" Carlos asked in a thick Spanish accent, lowering the volume of the music he had previously been blasting on the way to the airport.

"It wasn't the most comfortable; I kept moving around, and I wanted to sleep but couldn't. I was prepared to be such a bad teammate today and let you take over every video they make us do, but being here is already making me feel better," Charles joked, engaging in the conversation and appreciating that it was Carlos who had driven out to him. He knew conversations with Carlos never delved deeper than the surface level.