𝟏𝟖.𝟐 - 𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

August, 2005
South of Italy

In the fading sunlight of the southern Italian horizon, a young Max Verstappen sat quietly in the car with his father, Jos, after a race where he had clinched second place. The air was thick with tension as they navigated the winding roads, far from their Dutch home. Max, at the tender age of 8, fidgeted nervously, grappling with the words to explain his mistake on the track.

"I just couldn't get the turn right, Dad. Charles got in my way and," Max began to speak, his eyes fixed on the passing landscapes. "I tried my best, but..."

Jos interrupted sharply, his grip tightening on the steering wheel, the sound of his hand gripping the rubber of the wheel tightening the tension within the car, but he didn't say a word — some kind of silent treatment.

Max swallowed dry, feeling a lump in his throat. The disappointment in his father's eyes stung more than any racetrack mishap.

Silence settled in the car, broken only by the hum of the engine and the distant sounds of the Italian countryside. Max gazed out of the window, trying to gather another way to explain himself. He vowed silently to himself that he would win the next race, to prove to his father that it was just a mistake.

Trying to push past the slight trembling of his hands as he sensed his father's lingering frustration, he nervously continued, "Dad, I'll be faster next time, I promise! I'll practice so much that the car won't have any ideas of its own. You'll see!"

Jos remained silent, his stern expression unchanged. Max, undeterred, continued his plea in a small voice, "I really want to make you proud, Dad. Can you please talk to me? I'll do anything to make it right. I'll win next time!"

As the weight of his father's continued silence pressed down on him, Max's small shoulders slumped, and tears welled up in his eyes. "Dad," he whimpered, his voice breaking, "I really, really tried. I just wanted to win for you, and now you're mad at me."

Jos finally glanced at his son, noticing the tear-streaked face. He seemed even more irritated. Max, unable to contain his emotions any longer, burst into tears, the frustration and disappointment flowing out with each sob.

"I'm sorry, Dad," Max sniffled between sobs. "I just wanted you to be happy with me. I promise I'll be better next time."

The car continued its journey through the Italian countryside, the rhythmic sound of Max's tears mingling with the hum of the engine. In that somber moment, the distance between father and son felt more profound than the miles stretching ahead on the winding road.

Suddenly, as they neared a small roadside gas station, the car slowed down. Max's cries were stopped, leaving him in a silent moment of confusion.

"Max, get out of the car." Jos spoke coldly, in a tone that stung even more than the silent treatment. Bewildered, Max obeyed, stepping out onto the desolate gravel of the gas station.

As the gravel crunched beneath Max's feet, he watched in disbelief as his father closed the passenger door. The engine roared back to life, and before Max could fully comprehend what was happening, Jos accelerated away, leaving him behind in a cloud of dust and exhaust fumes.

Alone at the deserted gas station, Max felt a mix of confusion, hurt, and betrayal. The fading tail lights of the car disappeared around a bend, leaving him in the eerie silence of the Italian country-side. With tear-stained cheeks, Max stood there, grappling with the sudden isolation, wondering how he could bridge the growing distance between him and his father.

His large blue eyes wandered around in shock, looking for any sign of life. Everything felt bigger than life; he felt small.

Wiping away his tears with his small hands, Max took a deep breath and sat down on the gravel, waiting for his dad to return. The desolate gas station seemed to echo with his solitude as the night neared. An hour passed, but there was no sign of his father.

As the cold seeped through his racing suit, Max reluctantly stood up. With a determined yet hesitant stride, he walked towards the small convenience store adjacent to the gas pumps. The door creaked open, revealing a dimly lit interior. Max hesitated for a moment before entering, hoping to find someone that could help him.

As Max stood near the counter, a middle-aged Italian woman with warm eyes noticed his bewildered expression. Speaking in Italian, she asked, "Dove sono i tuoi genitori?"

Max, still grappling with the language barrier, replied with a shaky voice, "My mom?"

The woman's expression softened as she switched to broken English, "Oh, dear. You wait here. I call polizia for you." She reached for the phone behind the counter, dialing a number to seek help for the stranded young boy.

"My mom's number is 6667-8899" Max spoke, gathering the memories of the number he constantly dialed in order to talk to his mother.

"Oh," The lady smiled warmly to him, cupping his small cheek briefly. "I call your mom, okay." She assured him, starting to dial the number.

As the Italian woman made the call, Max gazed up at her with a mix of gratitude and contemplation. His eyes, still puffy from tears, lingered on her kind features, and a fleeting thought crossed his mind. If she were his mom, he mused, she wouldn't leave him.

Preview of chapter 19, available on patreon:

Read up to 6 chapters in advance in patreon for only $3 and support our work! (chapters 119, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24)

LINK: patreon.com/StockedBread