𝟐𝟎 - 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐫𝐜

News before the race was released: ten grid penalty for Max Verstappen for changing the control electronics.

Adrenaline coursed through Charles' body as his car was pushed towards the track, the steering wheel handed to him just in the nick of time, and the smell of burning rubber filling his senses as he warmed up his tires. He would be starting at the front of the grid, and news had broken out that Max was facing a serious penalty, which might have delighted any other competitor, but Charles knew better than to ever count him out. The man could start dead last and still end with a ten-second lead; Max was a force of nature that could not be underestimated.

While Max embodied power and control, Charles was all about passion and emotion. Despite the close calls between the two and the series of unfortunate events that had befallen the Ferrari driver, Charles sometimes forgot that he had what it took to clinch the world title.

Focusing all his energy back to what matters, Charles gripped his steering wheel, and not a split second after the light turned green, he was taking off. His start was strong, and oftentimes starting from pole position knocked him back down to second in no time, but even into turn three, he was standing his ground. His car was working with him, beautifully following orders and keeping a consistent reaction time as if it had a mind of its own yet chose to follow the man's lead, ready to push him to that next level.

Tire management was crucial, and there was no denying the Monegasque's talent as he kept his lead with no dire impact to his first set. Radio calls came in detailing the gap times between him and second, which for a while was his own teammate who trailed behind enough to not have a worry about it.

Being called into the pits brought the boy's first taste of fear into his mouth as he recalled numerous times where one bad call was all it took to cost him everything. With faith in his team, Charles followed orders, bringing his car around and getting sent back out into the track at record speed for the team. His stop had been calculated to be made before the Dutch driver and his own teammate as they would be the most difficult to overtake, and they planned to build a lead while both men were changing into the next sets, which is exactly what went down.

"Pole position Charles, keep pushing. Verstappen back on track," Xavi, his radio engineer, called out. Solely focused on keeping his pace, Charles asked to only receive updates if it was something that could cost him first place.

The laps passed him by, and if the Red Bull hadn't started ten places behind, Charles would be suspicious at the lack of fighting he's had to do.

Red flag.

In the midst of Charles' steady lead, the red flags began to wave, signaling for all drivers to make their way back into formation until they were given the all-clear. Through his radio calls, Charles wasn't given much information, but as he watched the big screens light up with a replay of the crash that caused their restart, he paid close attention, immediately spotting the damage made to his teammate's car. The fix would be expensive, that much was obvious at first glance.

As the footage continued playing, Charles found himself in shock when the Red Bull driver jumped out and there stood Max as opposed to Checo, whom the boy had just naturally assumed would be the culprit.

The crash was an amateur one, and while many drivers on the grid could have easily slipped into it and have it be accidental, the reality of it being Max wasn't computing in Charles' mind. As he waited for the footage of the drivers walking back to the paddock to finish, the boy was hoping to get a replay of the crash to better assess it now that he knew it was the Dutch driver behind the wheel, layering a new level of context. The boy waited for a replay that would never come, as the televisions opted to play a scene between father and son instead.

Jos Verstappen was furious, and Max was where the anger was directed at. Charles had seen glimpses of this scene play out before, especially back during the karting days, but having it broadcasted for the world to see was a heinous act. Entranced by the scene unfolding in front of him, the Ferrari driver almost missed the okay to get into position. Forcing himself to shake the images and the possibilities of the reasons behind Max crashing into Carlos, Charles refocused his attention. With the green light in front of him and no threat of Max Verstappen behind him, the race was as good as won, and it came as no surprise when after twenty more laps, his car was parked in first place.

The boy was met with a sea of red coming to greet him, parading him around like he was royalty in the fresh and chanting his name as the era of Red Bull dominance finally made way for a Ferrari victory.

Charles was overjoyed and gave in to everyone's buzzing energy, but as he looked around for any hopes of a specific driver, he kept coming up empty. It wasn't until the crowd had dispersed, running to take their places for the podium ceremony, that Charles took the chance to pull Fred, the Ferrari team principal, aside.

"What happened with Max?" he asked, the concern on his face visible, which made the older man sympathize.

"He crashed into Carlos, FIA has ruled it accidental but Carlos isn't very convinced of it. We might counter it, but at this rate, we have bigger issues. Don't worry about it tonight; you brought home the trophy, be proud," he insisted, taking Charles' shoulder and leading him towards the cool-down room where he should have been already. "Carlos will be okay; he's still around here somewhere," the man informed Charles, making the Ferrari driver realize he hadn't asked about his teammate and instead went straight to the whereabouts of his rival. "Max, however, is long gone," he finished his sentence, making Charles grateful that he wasn't forced to ask the question himself, which would give him away.

The podium was a momentous one, signaling hope for Ferrari and bringing back pride in their name that had been absent as of late. Covered in champagne, the brunette spent a good amount of time accepting congratulatory words from rivals and fans alike before excusing himself and giving vague answers as to the after-party plans.

In the comfort of his room and still in his suit, having opted against changing, the man sent a quick message before turning on the shower:

"I saw what happened. Can we talk? Send me where you're staying, and I'll come around at midnight, please."