𝟏𝟔 - 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐫

Charles was closer to sleep than he was to consciousness, his head resting gently on Max's chest, rising and falling to the pattern of his breathing. It was in their sacred moments that the boy felt the most defenseless, unable to filter his ways of thinking or his actions. The brunette pushed his body closer to the other driver, which was nearly impossible and had him almost on top of him, looking up and smiling to himself as he noticed the blond began to drift.

"Do you think they'd notice if we didn't make it to the race today?" Max joked, his voice raspy from the tiredness that dragged him down, his eyelids feeling heavy, his body wanting to surrender into sleep.

"I don't think they'll notice at all, no one pays attention to us," he joked. They both knew that out of everyone on the grid they would be the two to make the most commotion with their absences, especially after the pictures circulating of them together after his crash. But for a moment the driver wanted to live in a reality where Max could stay with him all night and into the morning.

Charles's lips hovered over the man's neck, leaning in gently to kiss him. His own breathing picked up, and his heart beat faster as he did so. "Thank you, Max," he whispered, moving up to kiss his cheek. Charles came to the realization that he loved kissing upwards towards the man's face, wishing he could leave the trace of his lips everywhere on him—wanting the man to know where his own feelings were beginning to stand, even if he didn't feel the same.

Those quiet moments were often more intimate than sex itself. The subtle touches and soft kisses made their interaction feel like more than something casual—more than just a fun experience. The tenderness of their touch added a layer of closeness beyond the proximity of their bodies.

On Charles's naked torso, Max gently touched the side of his ribs, making sure to not add too much pressure, knowing the area was sore from his crash earlier that day. "I want you to know I'd have done what I did for anyone, I'm not a cheater," Max whispered to Charles, as if it was a secret no one else could dare to overhear, "but I'm glad it was you." he said, tilting his head to look into the brunette's large green eyes. "Plus I don't think I'd have wasted my time trying to convince anyone else of how talented they are, it's pretty annoying," the man teased, smirking at him as he ran his hand down his silhouette, caressing his fingers against his warm skin.

Hiding his face in the crook of the man's neck, Charles felt embarrassed at having needed a pep talk earlier. However, as he felt Max's fingertips softly running across his bare skin, the brunette couldn't push away the smile on his face, "are you saying that you think I'm special?" he asked, letting his face be cupped into Max's hand. Their eyes met, and despite asking the question as a teasing comment, it was clear in his eyes how much he needed to hear the answer, especially when it was coming from Max.

The playful smile faded away, his expressions relaxing as he reached out for Charles's face, cupping his cheek. "Do you want to take a shower? Before I go." He said, rubbing his thumb against his cheekbone. "I'll help you wash off."

Placing his hand on top of Max's, the boy kept him in place, not wanting anything to break the moment they were sharing. Charles avoided the shower question at first, taking the time to carefully scan every inch of the man's face, noticing the mole on his bottom lip and leaning in to kiss him softly. The kiss was airy and there was no rush to it, only a gentle peck that held an intimateness that no person without feelings for the other could ever replicate.

"I could use the help," he whispered eventually. His words landed on Max's lips from their proximity. Although he agreed to the shower, he couldn't find it in himself to get up, opting for another gentle kiss. This time, it gave him more access to his mouth, craving him deeply. Charles brought his hand to Max's chest, running his hands down to his abs and tracing the lines gently while deepening the kiss unintentionally. "Could you help me, please?" he asked, his green eyes looking at him both in a helpless manner and like he was ready to attach their mouths again if they didn't start making their way to the restroom.