Elegy of the Fallen

His question was answered the moment he arrived at the church. The moment Guang saw what had become of the church, his blood turned to ice.

The holy memorial of Hero Rayler that had once stood here had been reduced to burnt, black cinders. Completely collapsed, leaving nothing of its former glory.

Guang stood there, mouth agape, as he processed what he was seeing. The burnt-down church was taped off by police officers - blue-uniformed people who were moving in and out, taking pictures and collecting evidence. There were some that were stationed around the perimeter of the police tape as well, ensuring that no civilians entered the scene.

In another corner near the church, civilians were solemnly placing flowers and gifts for the departed. Some gave silent prayers, while some were bawling their eyes out as they heaved for the lives that were lost.

It reminded Guang of a rainy night not too long ago. The Dragon Manor, consumed by fire. The worst night of his life, where he had lost everything and everyone he loved. Tears threatened to spring in his eyes. He did his best to muffle the sobs that tried to escape his throat. To think that such a tragedy would befall someone else too. How could he be the reincarnation of Hero Rayler when he couldn't even prevent a disaster that was so close to him?

The kind Sister Rachel, the innocent children who have yet to see the world...

It was cruel and unfair.

"Mr. Guang!"

Guang's head snapped up. Could that be-

Three little kids - the children from the church - were running towards him. Their clothes were scorched here and there and they were covered in soot. Nevertheless, to see those little eyes alright and running - the tears he had been holding back instantly poured down his cheeks.

In a voice warbling with emotion, Guang exclaimed tearfully, "You all!"

He got down so that he was level with them, and with no exception, embraced all of them in a big, warm hug.

"I was so, so worried about you guys," Guang sobbed. "I'm so glad to see you all safe."

The kids gave him a little smile, but that smile disappeared as quickly as it came.

"Sister Rachel..." the little girl, Wendy, started. Tears were brimming in her eyes, her lips trembling.

Jamie patted her back softly, his expression one of concern, but Guang noticed that he, too, was trying not to let his sadness show. Was Sister Rachel...

He glanced at the other kid beside him. It was David, the booger boy. Unlike the confident boy he was last time, David appeared tired. There were darkened eye bags under his eyes, appearing like he hadn't slept a wink. Wordlessly, he watched Jamie comfort Wendy. When he felt Guang's gaze on him, he only shook his head and beckoned him over.

They didn't have a particular destination in mind, no. Guang simply followed David. However, walking behind him, Guang noticed how David's gait seemed unfocused. Like he wasn't paying attention to his environment at all, his mind elsewhere.

Guang understood how he felt. He was like that too, when he had woken up in the hospital, having to process all that had happened was not a terrible dream. Which was why Guang said nothing and judged nothing.

That was, until David nearly walked face-first into a street light.

"Look out!"

Guang pulled David back right before a big bang collision occurred. David was startled, as if he didn't even realise what he was about to walk into.