The True Culprit

After relieving himself, Guang was refreshed and in a way better mood. Whistling, he got out of the toilet, feeling like a man reborn. However, that better mood was promptly squashed underfoot when he realised...

"Where am I?" Guang said blankly.

...he was lost.

The mesmerising sight before him was completely unfamiliar to him. A floor to ceiling window stretched across the entire wall, providing a breathtaking view of the misty city. Lining that wall was a long, sparkling bar serving drinks of all sorts of colours. Red wine, beer, cocktails, tequila, and so on, so forth.

People gathered around in small cliques, chatting with each other over their drinks. They were all dressed fancily - elegant women in beautiful dresses and classy men in expensive suits. Even though Guang was a noble, he felt like a beggar wearing his knightly uniform. Standing out like a sore thumb, he thought he would be attracting judging eyes, but everyone seemed to be so engrossed in their conversations that they paid him no mind.

In search of the elevator, Guang helplessly wandered about. That was when a conversation between two men caught his ears.

"Did you see him earlier? The Long kid?" Man One asked the other casually.

Man Two pondered for a bit before snapping his fingers. "You must mean Long Jin, right?"

Man One nodded. "That's right. You know what? I saw him going to the third floor earlier, and rumour is that he's been summoned by Lord Janus."

"Lord Janus?! Surely you jest."

Man One shook his head. "Looks like it's the end of the Long family, but I suppose that's just how it is. With time, every family will live past their glory and are doomed to fall. The Long family is no exception, as distinguished as they were in the past."

Hearing his dear family being tarnished just like that, Guang couldn't stay quiet. Fearlessly, he marched up to the two men and growled, "Take that back."

Man Two appeared puzzled at why a complete stranger was joining their conversation uninvited. Then, turning to Man One, he reprimanded, "I told you to keep it down! Now look what unnecessary attention you have attracted!"

However, Man One seemed more intrigued in Guang's statement. "It's the truth, though, mister."

To speak in such a tone, does he not know who he was talking to? Guang puffed out his chest. "As a Long, I cannot let such slander slide."

"A Long?" Man One cocked an eyebrow. "If you want to tell a lie, mister, I believe you need to put in more effort."

Such insolent words! The audacity of the man to assume he was lying! Now it just got personal.

"Why would I lie?" Guang fumed.

"Just agree with him, Lawrence!" Man Two groaned. Placatingly, he turned towards Guang. "Yes, you're completely right. We take back what we said. We didn't mean any offence. Let's go somewhere else, Lawrence."

As if deaf to Man Two's chiding, Lawrence demanded daringly, "Show us your neck, then."

Guang guffawed. What a silly request. Confidently, Guang brushed his bushy ponytail aside and turned around for them to see.

Turning back, Guang mocked, "Happy?"

Lawrence appeared smug while Man Two was awkwardly scratching his chin.

"Beyond delighted, in fact, Mr. Liar," Lawrence purred. "You've just openly admitted that you are not a Long."

Guang was about to combust. Literally. The ends of his fingers fizzled with tiny flames, and it was with tremendous effort that only his fingers were affected. Veins popping on his forehead, he argued, "How would seeing my neck prove that I'm a Long? Can't you see the crest-"