The Hero Awakens Once More

Distantly, like an echo, he heard the distorted voice calling, "Guang."

"Hrghh..."

"Guang," they repeated, even more clearly and urgently.

Annoyed, Guang grunted, "Five more minutes..."

"Guang!"

This time, it was like he was doused by a bucket of water and he awoke, alarmed. At his side, Jin was shaking him aggressively. Ahead of him were three strangers. Two of them were dressed in formal black and white suits with sunglasses. The one in the centre, however, was the one that piqued his interest the most. Dressed in a brown furry overcoat over a brown waistcoat, black collared shirt and a white tie, he appeared in his mid-forties, with grey slicked back hair and a neatly trimmed beard. Guang intuitively felt that this man was rather important. Had he seen him somewhere before? Before he could ponder on that, the man waved his hand and the two other men left at his command. Now, it was just Guang, Jin, and the stranger in the room.

Guang decided he might as well directly get his answers. Bluntly, he asked, "Who are you?"

"Guang!" Jin hissed into his ear.

Confused at Jin's behaviour, he pointed at the meekly smiling, bearded man in front of him and clarified his question, "Why is there a stranger in our room?"

Before Jin could reply, the man suddenly greeted in a warm, caring tone, "I'm sorry to intrude this early, Mr. Long. I heard rumours of a man who could manipulate fire, and I was wondering, if that could be you?"

As Jin retreated to his side to stand as straight as a street lamp, Guang mildly wondered what had gotten his brother so stiff. It must be this stranger. Squaring up his shoulders, Guang answered, "Yeah, that's me."

With that kind smile still on his face, the man said, "I see. Then, it is as I've expected...Mr. Long, are you familiar with the legend of Hero Rayler?"

Was that even a question? As far as Guang knew, everyone in Alca had heard of Hero Rayler's legend; of his rise to glory and his honourable sacrifice. He wasn't sure where this conversation was going, but since he wasn't sensing any malice from the man, he decided to play along for now. "I am."

"Good, good. I trust that as a Long, you're aware of the reincarnation of the demon king as well?"

At the mention of the demon king, Guang's grip on the blanket tightened. Grimly, Guang replied, "Yes, I am aware that the demon king poses a great threat over the world, and that he must be eliminated to protect the world as we know it."

Satisfied, the man nodded. "That, you are correct. Alca is doing her best to stop the demon king, but with the other nation, Naylen, being wrapped around the demon king's finger, it has been proving rather difficult, even with all our efforts."

"...could we please get to the point?"

The man's eyes widened. Then, when Guang thought he had offended him, the man unexpectedly burst out in laughter. For some reason, Guang felt that ever since meeting him, this was the first time the man genuinely expressed his feelings. Previously, it all felt like a polite front, but this laughter - it rang like it came from his heart.

"I'm beginning to like you, kid," the man chuckled heartily. "Apologies, but I was simply testing how much you know of the current situation before I present my request."

A request? What would a stranger want from him? He was a Long who had lost everything, a Long who had failed to protect what mattered to him the most. What value does he have in the eyes of a total stranger?

But this man...he was the real deal. His hazel eyes were shining with determination as he disclosed, "It was foretold that when the demon king would once again raze the world, the hero would rise from his ashes to protect the world once more."