The Man Behind The Mask

Gracefully, Saturn pushed open the double oak doors. Guang was expecting a small office like Valerie's, but Lord Janus' office was nothing of the sort. It was as if they had been transported to a palace in the sky. On the digital wallpaper of the chamber, white, fluffy clouds glided lazily over a bright, blue sky, basking the giant, spacious chamber in fictitious sunlight.

Ahead of them, on top of a platform, was a grand throne exuding an omnipotent power. Sat in that throne was an imposing figure. A black waistcoat, white trousers and a white cape that spilled over the throne like his wings. Silver chains hung off his coat. Just like every other person they had met on this floor, he, too, donned a mask - an unnerving half-crying, half-smiling mask. That man must be Lord Janus, the Minister of Intelligence.

To his left, there was a belly dancer lady in a flowy dark blue dress. Her dark purple hair was tied up in twin, braided buns, decorated with glittering stars. On her face, she donned a mask frozen in laughter.

With the two positioned side by side, Guang noticed something was off. While the lady seemed very real, Lord Janus, on the other hand, seemed to glow blue, flickering once in a while, as if he was a-

Guang pointed and asked, "Is that a hologram?"

Everyone jolted. Crap, Guang wasn't expecting the chamber to magnify his voice so much. Saturn gave a nervous chuckle while Jin rubbed his ear with a scowl. No doubt, Lord Janus must have heard his comment. Knowing how much first impressions matter, Guang doubted he made a good one just now.

A distorted voice from above said, "Yes, I am a hologram. Surprised?"

Saturn introduced, "Lord Janus, this is Mr. Long Guang and Mr. Long Jin. They are-"

Not only was he not here in person, but he wasn't showing his face nor using his own voice. Unable to withstand such treatment, Guang boldly pointed at Lord Janus.

Venomously, Guang said, "I'm surprised that a heartless murderer would be such a coward that he can't even attend a meeting in-person. What, scared that I will beat the crap out of you?"

Saturn was rendered speechless. Jin gave a loud, tired sigh. Lord Janus, however, appeared completely unfazed, leaning back onto his throne.

The voice overhead calmly spoke, "Don't flatter yourself, Mr. Long; this is no special treatment. This is a precaution I have taken to ensure the nation's security. Surely you understand the value of information, Mr. Long. As the Minister of Intelligence, many want what's in my head, as I know everything there is under the Alcaen sky. Nothing can escape my watch."

"Nothing can escape your watch except for corrupt laws, right?" Guang mocked.

Lord Janus paused, tilting his head. Wearing a mask, Guang couldn't tell what face he was making, but he seemed to have gotten Lord Janus' attention.

"The laws," Lord Janus emphasised, "are absolute."

"Do you find justice in the deaths of Sister Rachel and Jason, then? A mere church sister and a young child? Burning down the church that housed orphans, robbing them of their home?"

"Proper arrangements have been made to ensure they are in good hands. I don't see a problem with that."

"The problem is that you don't see a problem with that."

The entire chamber froze following the audacity of his statement. Everyone, everything, seemed to hold their breath lest they get caught in the crossfire.

Lord Janus crossed his arms. "Enlighten me, then, what the problem is."

Guang stepped forwards, looking straight at Lord Janus' mask. "Murder. Arson. If it was done by anyone else, it would have been a heavy crime."

Lord Janus snapped his fingers - a sharp sound that echoed in the spacious chamber.

"If it was done by anyone else," Lord Janus repeated. "You can only say that because you don't understand the big picture of this case, Mr. Long."

Guang twitched. "Oh, I've been told. It's because Sister Rachel and Jason were spreading lies, right?"

"In short, yes. It was because they were spreading lies."

"Lies such as this?"

Guang took out the picture he had in his pocket and lifted it up for all to see. It was the picture given to him by Jamie, depicting Hero Rayler's statue dancing with another person.

Being so far away, Guang wasn't sure if Lord Janus actually managed to make anything out. However, the picture didn't last a second in his hands when it was shot by a beam of laser, combusting it on the spot.

Horrified, Guang watched as the ashes of the picture flew listlessly onto the floor. Crossing his legs, Lord Janus said grimly, "Hero or not, I expect you wouldn't be sewing lies such as this. This is my warning. Next time, I won't show leniency."

Guang clenched his fists. Fiercely, he shouted, "Does spreading lies justify ending one's life? Who are you to decide who lives and who doesn't? Those were innocent children - do their lives hold no value to you?"

A beat of silence. Then, dismissively, Lord Janus said, "Saturn, Opsidia. Relay the oath of a Gatekeeper."

Saturn and the belly dancer, Opsidia, saluted. In unison, they chanted, "As a Gatekeeper, I am sworn to fulfil my duty. To eliminate any and all information that is malicious and to protect the nation from harm, I offer my body and soul. Long live Alca, the glorious nation!"

To preach such high ideals while executing it in such a gruesome way - as a knight, as a fellow protector of the nation, Guang was beyond disgusted.

Lord Janus applauded. A single, empty applause that rang jarringly in the giant chamber.

"Very good, Saturn, Opsidia," Lord Janus commended. Then, turning to address Guang once again, he said, "You're not a part of our world, so you don't understand, but neither do I expect you to. What you need to know is that inaccurate information, incorrect information, lies - as insignificant as it may be at first, it can eventually snowball into a nation-wide disaster. Our neighbouring nation, Naylen, is an excellent example. Their people, brainwashed by the Demon King. Our duty is to ensure that our nation won't end up like them. I hope that is clear."

Guang gritted his teeth. No matter what he said, it was pointless, for they don't comprehend his views. If words alone were not enough to do anything, then...

Brazenly, Guang declared, "By the name of Hero Rayler, I challenge you to a duel, Lord Janus!"