The Golden-Eyed Child

The boy leapt up onto his feet, surprising Guang. Eagerly, he shoved the ball in his hands into Guang's face.

"Wh-what-?" Guang spluttered.

With a bright beam that seared at his eyes, the boy asked excitedly, "Can you play ball with me, kind mister? Please, please, pleaseeee!"

Begging him with such puppy eyes, how could Guang refuse? Guang chuckled, "Alright, alright. But before I play with you, do you feel any pain anywhere?"

The boy shook his head. Guang was reminded of a dog drying itself. "No, I'm totally fine, sir!"

Guang gently ruffled the boy's head, much to the boy's giggling. "What's your name?"

"My name is...!"

The boy froze. Eyebrows furrowing, the boy looked down at the ball in his hands. "My name...my name is...my name..."

Did the boy forget his name? Or perhaps, did he not have one? Seeing the boy struggling, Guang decided to change tactics. "You can tell me when you remember your name, alright?"

Instantly, like the clouds have cleared, the boy smiled. "Mhm! I'll tell you my name when I remember! Can we play ball now, mister?"

Guang looked around the crowded hall. The people were looking at him oddly, whispering behind their hands. Earlier as well, the child was nearly trampled over. With the judging looks and physical danger the place posed, it was obvious that here was certainly no place to play ball.

"Let's go find somewhere more spacious, yeah?" Guang told the child.

The child nodded, grabbing his hand. His hand was so soft and tiny, making Guang want to protect this little ball of sunshine even more. This boy was really brave, to be able to take someone's hand without hesitation!

"I know a place! I'll bring you there!"

Guang let the child guide him. It reminded him of that one fateful day many years ago, when he took Sui's hands in his. Till this day, he remembered how frosty and cold they were. Even so, he had clung on. Back then, that action had been a sign of trust between him and Sui. Perhaps this child was demonstrating the same thing as well. By holding his hand, he was conveying that he trusted Guang. In so many ways, Guang saw himself in the child; energetic and playful, yet ignored by the people they wanted attention from.

As they navigated through the crowd, Guang realised the child was extremely agile. Like a snake, he was able to notice and slither through the gaps in between the ever-changing pattern of the crowd without pausing for breath. At first Guang had been concerned that they might run into some obstacles, but it turns out that he had been worried for nothing. Deeper and deeper into Twilight Tower they went until finally, they arrived at a large, empty, circular hall.

It was empty, in terms of people. Eerily, there was not a single soul in sight. The place did not appear abandoned, though. On the ceiling stretched high above them hung a twinkling crystal chandelier. The hall was fancily decorated, with potted plants, statues and a marble floor, immersing one in a classy atmosphere. Around them were counters, but they, too, were deserted. On the other end of the hall, there was a barrier which seemed to require a tag to go through. From there onwards was an elevator lobby - could it perhaps lead to the floors above? Or perhaps, under?

The boy eagerly turned towards him as if waiting to be praised. "What do you think of this place?"

All in all, it gave the impression of a hotel lobby. Guang was really astounded by Twilight Tower's interior. What more can they have within the Ministry of Intelligence? A bar?

Thoughtfully placing a hand on chin, Guang contemplated whether it would be safe for a child to be running around in a place like this. Considering that there weren't too many obstacles and with most obstacles pushed against the walls, it should be rather safe. If anything, Guang could just go into his Blazing Mania form and protect the child in the blink of an eye.

"Yeah, we can play here."

The child squealed joyously. "Yay! I can finally play ball! It's been so long since anyone wanted to play with me!"

Hearing that, Guang felt sad for the child. "When was the last time you played with someone?"

"Hm...a month? A year? Ten years? Or maybe they never did...I don't remember!"

To be so deprived of attention that he doesn't even remember when was the last time he had fun? The news was simply too tragic. Guang was going to make sure that, in this short amount of time he has, the child will experience at least a fraction of the joy that he had missed out on.

Guang put on a big, friendly smile. "How do you want to play ball? I'll play it however you want us to."

Beaming, the child extended his arms, lifting the ball in his arms towards Guang.

"Take the ball! That's your first challenge!"

"Oooh a challenge," Guang played along. "It must be very hard-"

The moment the ball was dropped into his hands, it was like a black hole had appeared before his feet and was sucking him in. It took every single muscle in his body to fight against the gravitational pull of the ball in his hands. What is this - the ball was so heavy!

He changed into his Blazing Mania form, much to the child's gasp of awe. With the increased strength that this form provides, he was able to lift the ball more easily, although still with some difficulty, but at least he managed to hold it up while still smiling.

Guang laughed, trying to not let his ragged breathing show. "See? It's nothing much for me. I didn't even break a sweat!"

The child was thoroughly impressed. Gold eyes glittering, he applauded enthusiastically. "Mister, you're so strong!"

"Of course, this is child's play!"

The child giggled. "Let's play catch, then!"

Wait. What? If Guang hurled a ball this heavy towards this child, wouldn't the child get injured from the impact? Even though Guang did let the child call the shots, Guang could never possibly do such a thing!

Before he could refuse to, the child had already run a few metres away, bouncing up and down and waving his arms. "Throw the ball to me, mister!"

Hesitantly, Guang lowered the ball. "Um...let's play a different game, shall we?"

The two extensions at the back of the child's head drooped, making him look like a kicked puppy. "But I want to play catch..."

Oh, crap, the boy looked like he was about to cry. Quick, Guang, think of a good excuse to not murder a child!

"I want to play catch too! It's just, I'm not really sure how to."

The moment the words were out of his mouth Guang wanted to punch himself. Seriously, was that the best excuse he could think of? Every child knew how to play catch, much less a fully grown man!

But surprisingly, it worked. The boy 'ah'-ed and ran over to Guang's side.

"I'll demonstrate!" the child said determinedly.