You Who Shine Brighter

Hold on, back up a bit. Did the bearded man just say he was Valerie, the president of Alca? Guang didn't hear wrongly, right? Is this a fever dream or something? Why else would so many ridiculous, unbelievable facts be revealed at once? First being told he was the reincarnation of Hero Rayler, now the man visiting his sick bed being the president and asking for his help?

Now that Guang thought about it, Jin's strange, constipated reactions made sense. So this man - he really is the president?

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be making my leave now-"

"Wait!"

The president of Alca paused. "Yes, Mr. Long?"

Despite all this new, overwhelming information, Guang felt his heart pounding in exhilaration. His stagnant world was coming to an end. An adventure awaits, shrouded in unknowns. The future...he couldn't see it now. How exciting!

"Is it possible to request some assistance from the government? In exchange, I will track down Su- the demon king, and make sure he doesn't do any more evil."

Valerie raised an eyebrow. "You are quite cheeky to request so after rejecting my request."

Nervously chuckling, Guang rubbed the back of his head. Might he have offended the president of Alca? He had to admit, it was quite tactless of him to ask that especially after rejecting Valerie just a minute ago. Guang was expecting for his request to be refused, but he just had to try; it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet with the president after all.

Humming, Valerie inquired, "So are you saying you will not slay the demon king?"

Guang grimaced. "...that will depend on the situation. I still stand that I will do things my own way, with or without your help, pres."

A small, amused smile found its way onto Valerie's face. "Is that so? Considering your courage and passion to pursue the demon king, I will be able to provide some assistance. Come visit the Rhinestone Palace once you're feeling better."

No way. His request got accepted...his request got accepted! Unable to contain his happiness, he hopped off the bed and hollered, "Yes!"

Turning towards a stunned Valerie, Guang exclaimed, "I'm feeling all better already, pres! Let's go there now!"

***

Never in Guang's life would he ever thought he'd get to visit the Rhinestone Palace. See it from afar? Sure, but not step foot in it. Rhinestone Palace sat in the heart of Alca's capital, Starlight Metropolis. Back in Varya Town, Guang could only distantly see the towering white structures of Starlight Metropolis, but now, they surrounded him everywhere. Guang gasped in awe as he viewed the metropolis from the topmost floor of Rhinestone Palace. There were tall, white skyscrapers and pillars that supported roads that criss-crossed the skies. From the dazzling rays of the morning sun, the metropolis glimmered brilliantly. Scattered below him were so many people, they were so small that they seemed like ants, crawling in every crook and cranny. Bright and dynamic, the city view from here filled him with an amazing sensation of omniscience - one that pictures could never replicate.

Lightly, Valerie asked, "What do you think of the view from my office?"

Almost like in a trance, Guang murmured, "It's so good I can't tear my eyes away from it."

"Guang."

Jin's stern tone made him realise his embarrassing actions and he quickly gathered himself. Stepping back from the ceiling to floor windows that overlooked the city, Guang took a seat before the president's desk beside Jin.

Once seated, Valerie's warm expression hardened. Instantly, it felt like they were thrown into a freezer room. So sudden and drastic was the change in atmosphere that Guang involuntarily tensed up.

In a grave tone, Valerie said, "Before we go into the details, there are some things I need to tell you."

Guang gulped. What could it be, he wondered?

Interlacing his fingers, Valerie spoke, "About the tragic incident the other day, I must first offer my deepest condolences. I apologise if I may hurt you by bringing up the incident again this soon, but there are a few things you must know. Firstly, the manor had completely burned down. Secondly, there were only three survivors of the incident; namely, the two of you and Maria Campbell. No other servants have escaped from the fire."

Bo, his valet. Ms Penelope, his combat training teacher. The other servants as well...

It was yet another harsh reminder of what was lost that rainy night. There was so much he wanted to say to them, so much he regretted, but now...

Biting back tears, Guang looked down, not wanting to show Valerie an embarrassing sight.

"Thirdly, your parents have been buried in the cemetery in Varya Town. The servants who have passed, meanwhile, have been returned to their families."

Guang nodded. That was a good decision, one he would have done too. At least his servants would be reunited with their families.

"Regarding your familial affairs, Jin has dealt with the paperwork. The manor will be rebuilt, and in light of the situation, the nation is funding its repair. As the president of Alca, I have the responsibility to protect my citizens, but I have clearly failed to do so. This is my compensation and apology for my oversight in the nation's security."

"I thank President Valerie for your generosity once more," Jin bowed.

Guang had never seen this side of Jin before - all formal and polite. While it's true that he had seen a hint or two of Jin practising in the manor, he had never seen him utilising those skills in action before. It impressed Guang to no end how Jin was acting like a model noble; something Guang was never fully capable of.

For a brief moment, Guang met Jin's eyes. Jin was lifting his eyes from him towards Valerie. When Guang still stupidly stared at Jin, Jin did it with more force that his eyes looked like they were going to pop out of their sockets.

Oh. He was using his eyes to point towards Valerie.

Hastily, Guang bowed too. "Thank you, President Valerie."

Valerie, for some reason, burst out in laughter. "Look at the two of you, being so formal, like rubber bands about to snap. It's alright to act like yourselves - I especially liked it when you called me 'pres', Guang."

Guang brightened up at that. While it was a small slip-up he had unconsciously made, he was surprised that Valerie remembered it - and even more surprised when he liked it.

"Yes, pres!" Guang saluted.

Meanwhile, Jin was absolutely stumped on how carefree Guang can act, even in front of the most influential man of the nation. Jin himself could never bring himself to do that. It was just like what the other servants often told him - Guang just had a natural capacity to get on someone's good books, regardless of who they are. Jin was envious of that.

"Now, onto the matter of the demon king," Valerie resumed. "I'm sure that you two experienced a sudden blackout last night?"

Guang tapped his chin. "Oh, yeah. That. What was that about?"

Pursing his lips, Valerie asked, "Do you two know what supplies power to the entire nation of Alca?"

Ah. Guang vaguely remembered it was a topic he was supposed to cover in lectures, but considering his track record of absences...

"A ruby," Jin answered firmly, like shooting off a bullet that hit the bullseye. Thank the hero - Jin's a life saviour!

"Correct," Valerie confirmed. "The ruby is a rare renewable resource discovered a century ago. It can be used to power up anything and everything without ever running out of energy. Of the two fragments that Alca has, one has been acting as the essential core of the national power plant, Sol Invictus, for the past century. This ruby, however, had been stolen last night, resulting in a brief, nation-wide blackout."

"But who would dare do such a thing?" Guang thought aloud. "To go to the lengths of disrupting public order - surely no one would do that."

"There is," Jin said grimly.

Genuinely baffled, Guang inquired, "Who?"

Valerie appeared as if he had a whole lemon shoved down his throat. As if announcing their deaths, Valerie stated, "The culprits are the Black Lotus."