Good Apple, Bad Apple

An uproar arose as the Black Lotus found their precious demon king fatally wounded. Much like bees, Yuehua and the other members in black instantaneously swarmed around Sui, ignoring Guang as they tended to their demon king. Guang stood there stockstill, still processing what had happened. Eventually, his shock turned into fury as he realised there was a culprit behind this.

"Who. Who was it? WHO WAS IT?!"

Suddenly, Guang was grabbed by the wrist and pulled along in a sprint. He was going to get separated from Sui. Sui, who was in pain. Sui, who needed his help now.

Enraged by the audacity of whoever it was to separate them, he tried to wrench his wrist free when he noticed it was Jin pulling him. Jin, who in one hand, had the ruby stolen by Black Lotus. When did Jin wake up? Had he been waiting for an opening this entire time?

Sensing resistance, Jin ordered, "Hurry up and pick up the pace!"

"What are you doing?" Guang yelled.

"Saving you, of course!" Jin shouted, slightly irritated, as if he had to spell things out for a kid. "We can get away while they're occupied with their demon king!"

Guang wanted to argue, but knowing Jin, he would not budge on this either. He chanced one last glance back. It was as Jin said. The Black Lotus were fussing around Sui that they didn't even realise Guang was gone. Only Sui. Expression scrunched up in anguish, his eyes never left Guang. Behind those eyes, Guang felt like they were calling him to stay, to not leave, but Sui himself kept quiet, not uttering a single word.

The shame that welled up within Guang was immeasurable. He forcefully tore his gaze away, unable to face Sui, as he and Jin ran away.

Guang didn't know for how long they had been running, but after what felt like ages, they were back in their hotel room. Only then did Jin let go of his wrist.

"Pack up. We're going back to Rhinestone Palace to report to President Valerie before the Black Lotus catches up to us."

Even as Jin left, Guang still stood there, dazed. He couldn't believe what he had done; he couldn't forgive himself for what he had done. Leaving Sui behind while he was injured like that...Guang was a terrible excuse for a friend.

When Jin returned and still found Guang right where he left him, staring into nothing, he barked, "Why are you just standing around?"

Guang blinked, seemingly only registering Jin's words then. "Ah. Sorry. I'll go pack up now."

It doesn't take much for Jin to notice his brother was completely out of it. Jin sighed. "Nevermind, I've already packed your stuff up. Let's go."

On their train ride back to Rhinestone Palace, Jin was as tense as a bowstring; constantly alert, keeping a lookout. Guang and Jin were sitting facing each other on the train filled with many other passengers. Every time a passenger passed by, they would ogle at Guang. Not that Guang could blame them. With bleeding cuts here and there, his clothing torn, dirty and bloodied, he was practically standing out like a sore thumb.

Despite that, whenever a person got too close, Jin's hand would twitch, as if readying to unholster his gun any moment. With how edgy Jin was, neither of them spoke, which meant it left a lot of silence for Guang and his thoughts. He tried his best to not dwell on recent events, but one question kept on nagging in his head. Who was the one that shot Sui? Who was the culprit? It was a loud, audible bang. They must have been nearby. It oddly sounded like a gun too. Someone with a gun...

Wasn't that the person in front of him?

Placing his arm on the window's edge, Guang supported his chin with his hand. He looked at Jin's restless figure from the edges of his vision, buying time to gather his courage. Ultimately, he turned his gaze to the scenery of the evening city outside of the window.