For The People, For The Nation

The next few days Guang and Jin spent exploring Varya Town. Well, exploring for Guang, at least. Jin acted as his tour guide, introducing the town to the local yet uncultured Guang. They tried out all sorts of food, visited all kinds of shops, and beheld various unique sceneries only Varya Town had to offer. By the end of it, Guang felt like he had gotten to know his town better, and perhaps could call himself a local of Varya Town without being too embarrassed.

Sooner than expected, it was the last day of their stay before they returned to Rhinestone Palace to report to Valerie. Guang and Jin visited the orphanage where David, Jamie and Wendy had been transferred to. The kids looked way better and happier now. After touring around the orphanage and chatting with the caretakers, Guang was really glad and relieved that the kids were in good hands.

The last place they visited was the local church's graveyard. With the church gone, the graveyard laid bare, naked to the world. Even from a distance, Guang could see the graves poking out of the earth. He instantly felt sombre, his heart aching, resonating with the pain of the souls that had departed.

Guang and Jin firstly knelt at their parents' grave. Replacing the old flowers, they told their parents that they are leaving once more, and that they will be gone for some time. After offering their respects, they moved on to another part of the graveyard. It wasn't far, but one can easily observe that this area was more well-kept, for it was for the more recently departed. There, Guang and Jin knelt before two newly erected graves. On the gravestones, one was named 'Sister Rachel' while the other was named 'Jason'.

If only what happened many nights ago was a nightmare. He still remembered Sister Rachel's warm welcome at the church, providing them hot chocolates and snacks on a stormy night, how she was eager to provide explanation to any inquiries Guang had despite her nervous nature. She truly was a good person.

Jason however, he doesn't really remember much, but he was still a kid, with many years ahead of him. To have it cut off prematurely by Lord Janus was something that Guang could not come to terms with. That was why...

Unlike with his parents, once Guang set down flowers by Sister Rachel and Jason's graves, he stood up and left without a word. Jin didn't say anything, only silently following behind him like a shadow.

And thus, the two children of Long spread their wings, and left their nest once more.

When they returned to Rhinestone Palace, officers and staff alike greeted them politely, bowing as they did so. Guang tried to put on his usual smile and return the greeting of each and everyone of them. By the time they reached the elevator that would bring them to the highest floor where Valerie's office was, his eyes darkened and his lips were pulled into a scowl. For someone as bubbly as Guang to wear that kind of expression was downright terrifying, so much that it even sent a chill down Jin's spine. No one, not even Jin, knew what was going through Guang's head.

The moment they arrived outside of Valerie's office, Jin had barely taken a step out of the elevator when Guang had stormed across the hallway. Jin's call and the yelling of the guards fell on deaf ears as Guang marched onwards like a raging tempest. He pushed aside the guards with a simple sweep of his arms. The force was so powerful that when the guards crashed into the walls, they were instantly rendered unconscious.

Despite that, Guang never stopped. With the force of a howling gale, he threw open the double doors to Valerie's office with a thunderous boom, startling Valerie who was sitting behind his desk.

Valerie's shocked expression became concerned when he registered that it was Guang. Almost father-like, he asked gently, "What's wrong, Guang?"

The sight of Valerie was like pouring oil onto fire. Seething, Guang's steps became stronger and faster, so much that it felt like the entire building was shaking. He slammed his fist down on Valerie's desk.

"How can you kill them?" Guang growled.

"I beg your pardon?" Valerie appeared confused, which only made Guang even angrier.

"Sister Rachel and Jason from Varya Town! The Church of Rayler! How can you do that to them?!"

Valerie cleared his throat. "I think there's a misunderstanding here. Jin, care to explain why Guang is so fired up?"

Jin was standing a distance away. Awkwardly, he said, "It's a recent incident at Varya Town, sir. The local Church of Rayler had been subjected to judgement by the Ministry of Intelligence. A sister of the church and an orphaned kid were killed."

Guang let out a sarcastic huff. Valerie, however, seemed to have understood the context immediately for he frowned.

"I see," Valerie said grimly. Sympathetically, he turned to Guang. "Guang, I need you take a deep breath-"

"I don't need to take a deep breath," Guang hissed venomously.

"I understand that you are unhappy with the Ministry of Intelligence's course of action-"

"It's literally murder with arson! Just like my family!"

With that outburst, it was clear to everyone that this entire incident meant a lot to Guang and had inflicted a lot of pain on him. To witness the same exact horror he had gone through a month ago happen to someone else must have reopened old wounds. Through words alone, both Valerie and Jin can tell that Guang's heart was bleeding.

Valerie allowed a few seconds of silence, mainly to let Guang calm down. When Guang seemed more stable, only did Valerie began.

Mellowly, as if talking to an injured, hostile tiger, Valerie said, "I hear what you're saying, Guang. I do admit that, if the law wasn't involved, this would have been a serious crime of murder with arson. However, this course of action is decreed by the law, and the consequences are explicitly stated."

"Change the law, then!"

For a fraction of a second, Valerie froze, appearing genuinely stumped.

"I'm...afraid I can't do that, Guang. There is a long procedure behind changing the laws and requires approval from various parties-"

"Get the ball rolling, then! There's not going to be change unless something is done! Think of the lives that will be lost if this goes on, and the lives that will be saved if the law is changed!"

A hand landed on his shoulder. Solid, but not forceful. Present, but not overpowering. It grounded him like an anchor in the storm. It was Jin's hand. Despite appearing uneasy, Jin bravely met Guang's eyes and shook his head. Guang got the message: that's enough. But how could he stop here?

Grimly, Valerie intertwined his fingers, exuding an air of seriousness. "I know whatever I say won't change your mind, but the law cannot be changed by the snap of a finger. There is a strong reasoning behind the law existing, but I believe Lord Janus can explain it better than me."

Guang let out a snarky chuckle. "Alright, fine. Good, in fact! I'll bring it up with the perpetrator himself! Minister of Intelligence or not, I'll make sure to change his mind!"

Behind him, Jin pinched the bridge of his nose.

On the side, Valerie took down some notes. "If that's so, I shall arrange an appointment with Lord Janus for you, Guang and Jin."

"Thank you, sir." Jin bowed.

Lightly, Valerie waved his hand. "Normally, it will take months to even get an appointment with the Minister of Intelligence himself, as he is an extremely busy man. However, as the Hero, the nation will regard your wisdom with the utmost consideration. I will use my authority as the president to put you on the top of the waiting list. Although, I must mention that this will delay our plans of sending you two off to Naylen to collect the ruby Princess Yuehua possesses. I can only extend the arrangements a week, so I will need the two of you to be ready to depart to Naylen after your audience with Lord Janus. Sounds good?"

As long as Guang got to knock some sense into the Ministry of Intelligence and change this ridiculous system, Guang was satisfied. Determined, he nodded.

"I'll see you two in a week, then. You may leave."