Roots That Run Deep

The moment was shattered when a sharp, metallic sound rang throughout the air. Across Guang, Samudaya had sliced up the rubble he was buried under into millions of tiny cubes. Even though Samudaya was caked in a thick layer of dirt and dust, his eyes were clearly ablaze with ferocious anger.

"Who dares interfere with my duel? Do you have a death wish?!"

"Samudaya."

To Guang's surprise, Samudaya visibly froze like a deer caught in headlights. Shaking like a leaf, Samudaya slowly turned towards Mother Nature, trying his best to look friendly. The two of them side by side painted a big contrast. One looked like they had showered in dust, while the other was the definition of a pristine saint.

"Oh, hey, Magga! What brings you here?" Samudaya waved half-heartedly. Then, when he realised he was swinging his claws around, his face became paper white and he hurriedly hid his hands behind his back.

Despite her eyes being closed, Magga caught onto the claws Samudaya was trying to hide. Swivelling her head around, she seemed to assess the environment through closed eyes, her frown growing as she did so.

With the situation as it is, Guang felt like he was intruding upon some internal affairs between Samudaya and Magga - one which he did not want to have a share of. He could silently leave, but after that fun, intense sparring with Samudaya, Guang now saw Samudaya as something like a brother. If he were to go without saying a word, it would be like abandoning a comrade on the battlefield.

"Um!" Guang said loudly.

His booming voice attracted the attention of both Samudaya and Magga. Samudaya winced and shrunk away as if he had been slapped, whereas Magga had inquisitively lifted her eyebrows, like discovering a two-headed rabbit.

With their given reactions, Guang sort of regretted his decision to announce himself. But now that the deed was done, the only choice he had was to see his decision through, as embarrassing as it was going to be.

"I'm just...going to..." Guang awkwardly pointed his thumb to the street behind where the inn was. A silent indication that he wanted to head that way.

He thought that'd be enough to garner a free pass to leave, but on the contrary, Magga had fully turned towards him with a grave, "Wait."

Crap. Was Guang in trouble?

Usually, Guang would not hesitate to throw hands if it meant he would gain something from it, even if it is having fun, just like his fight with Samudaya. However, something about this lady's aura intimidated Guang. Perhaps it was how she exuded an otherworldly aura; how she seemed human, but not quite human.

He didn't want to have any trouble with this lady. Since he had announced his leave, he figured he wouldn't be feeling any regret if he were to bolt now. Yet before he could do so, Magga suddenly lifted her robes and kneeled, lowering her head so that it kissed the cobalt ground. It was then that Guang realised she was solemnly prostrating before him.

So shocked he was that he was rooted to the spot. To have such a benevolent being lowering herself for his sake stirred conflicting, unspeakable emotions within Guang.

Even as she was prostrating, Magga's voice maintained its undisturbed coolness, like running cold water over a burning wound. "Forgive my rudeness, Master Guang, for failing to notice you earlier. This servant is Magga, Fourth Noble Truth from the Black Lotus."

A brief pause, and she lowered herself into the ground even more, much to Guang's protest that went ignored. Magga continued, "I noticed that my reckless, inconsiderate colleagues who have been sent to escort you have not only failed to prioritise your safety, but have been treating you without proper regard. I promise that they will not make the same mistake again, but for the moment, please punish me as you see fit for their selfish behaviours."