The Pure Maiden

With no more reason to stay, Guang and Jin decided to make their leave. While greeting the children goodbye, Guang suddenly remembered.

"By the way, Rachel, did Hero Rayler have a lover?"

Thoughtfully, Rachel placed a hand below her chin. "Hmm...as far as I'm aware, he doesn't. Why do you ask?"

Guang glanced at Hero Rayler's statue, of his delicate expression and of his expressive pose. It was like staring at something incomplete; a puzzle missing a piece.

Nonchalantly rubbing the back of his head, Guang chuckled, "It's just a hunch, but I feel like Hero Rayler's statue is missing something."

As if frightened, Rachel put a hand to her mouth. "You might not want to say something that outright in front of other sisters, Guang, or they might take offence."

"A-ah, no, no, I don't mean any offence by that!" Guang hurriedly clarified.

Rachel shook her head. "It's alright, I know you don't. But to answer your question, I've heard from the other sisters that there used to be another statue here. Not that I've actually seen it! By the time I was here, the statue was long gone. If you would like, we can return to the library to find some pictures of the church in the old days - we might be able to find a picture of the old statue as well."

Instantly, Guang was newly invigorated. For reasons unknown, he was extremely curious about Hero Rayler's potential lover. "Let's go, then!"

"Wait."

Before he could bounce away, Guang was held back by his collar by his party pooper of a brother.

"Hey, what gives?" Guang complained, much like an irritated kitten.

Ignoring Guang, Jin addressed a slightly amused Rachel, "It's getting late, and we don't want to intrude any further. We really appreciate your warm hospitality."

"O-oh, alright..." Rachel faltered by the sudden change of plans. She seemed a little disappointed, but still put on the best smile she could. "Have a good rest, then! Guang, Jin!"

Jin gave Rachel a courteous bow and proceeded to drag Guang out of the church. Guang didn't even fight back, already used to such treatment. The children, seeing him go, rushed out to the entrance to bid Guang farewell too.

Energetically, Guang waved at Rachel and the children. "I'll be back tomorrow! I promise!"

The children hollered back, "Good night, Mr. Guang!"

Eventually, the warm, gold light spilling from the entrance of the church was extinguished by Rachel closing the door. Reflecting on it, today was such an adventure. While it started on a rather melancholic note, it ended with a blast. Guang was so happy to be able to meet new people and learn new things about this world.

As if reading his mind, Jin deadpanned, "It's actually nothing new if you attended Mr Edward's lec-"

Guang scowled. "Let your good ol' older brother have his moment!"

"I was just stating the obvious," Jin replied, not a shred of guilt. "Also, my arm is getting tired. Please walk by yourself."

"...fine."

***

Rachel sighed as she closed the doors to the church. However, that sigh was not one of exhaustion, but rather, of fond happiness. They hadn't had such interesting company in a while; it truly was refreshing for both her and the children.

Black sheep black sheep black sheep...

Rachel shuddered. What was that? In search of the cacophony of overlapping whispers, her frightened eyes darted around frantically.

"Sister Rachel?"

The children below her were looking at her with concern, pulling at her dress to get her attention. Rachel nearly forgot that the children were there.

Not wanting to scare the children, Rachel did her best to hide the trembling in her voice. "Did any of you guys say anything just now?"

The children appeared perplexed.

Nervously, Wendy spoke up, "Um...we didn't say anything, Sister Rachel."

What was it then? Was it a ghost? Rachel shook her head. What was she thinking about? She was in a church under Hero Rayler's protection, there's no way a ghost could have wandered astray here. She must be so tired that she began hearing things. Yeah, that was probably it.

Rachel did her best to act like nothing was wrong as she made dinner for the kids and tucked them into bed. Even so, she found herself being clumsier than usual; dropping spoons, stumbling over her own feet and nearly forgetting to turn off the stove. She looked at her own hands that refused to stop trembling. She has to snap out of it. Everything is alright.

Just as Rachel was about to blow out the candlelights in the church hall, she heard it again.

Black sheep black sheep black sheep...

She squeaked in fright. The candlelight flickered in her uneven breathing, making the rippling shadows seem alive. Rachel changed her mind. She'll go out to get some fresh air first, and when she returns, hopefully the candlelight and Hero Rayler's blessing would have purified whatever impure being that was lingering here

Wrapped up in a scarf, Rachel stepped out into the cool night. At this hour near midnight, the park outside the church was dark, silent and empty except for a few people here and there. It wouldn't be too good for a young little girl like herself to wander by herself at this time, so Rachel sat herself down by the stairs of the church, admiring the vast sky littered with stars. The sight never failed to calm her down. It reminded her of how beautiful the world is, and how that they were nothing but a speck in the big picture. In light of her insignificance, she found solace amongst the stars.

Some mumbling from inside the church snapped her out of her reverie. Rachel nearly jumped out of her skin and had half a thought to run away, but thinking about it, it wasn't the sinister chorus of whispers, so perhaps it was something else?

Opening the doors to the church, moonlight spilled onto the long, gloomy hall, illuminating a small figure. Sat on the floor in between the many rows of benches, they swayed rhythmically to their own tune.

"Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full."

Recognising the tiny silhouette and voice, Rachel let out a breath of relief. Closing the door behind her, the hall fell into a state of perpetual gloom. The candlelights have long burned out; the only source of light was the filtered moonlight that shone through Hero Rayler's glass mural.

Approaching the little silhouette, Rachel called out, "Jason? What are you doing?"

However, Jason appeared to not have heard her. He continued swaying and singing, "One for the master, one for the dame..."

Gently placing a hand on Jason's shoulder, Rachel asked, "Can't sleep?"

Upon Rachel's touch, Jason's entire body seized up. The entire hall fell deafeningly silent. Then slowly, almost mechanically, the little boy turned around. When his beady little eyes fixed on Rachel, he giddily giggled.

"And one for the little girl who died in shame."