Closed Wounds

While Valerie and Jin chatted about Alcaen affairs, Guang was busy munching away on the other end of the table. He barely registered what the two others were saying, for it was too complicated to comprehend, so he altogether tuned it out in favour of savouring his food. He took one of everything - for each was a delicacy by itself. There was no way he was going to miss out on anything on this table.

One dish had tasted rather odd, though. It was hard, and even when Guang managed to get a bite out of it, it was sharp and crunchy on his tongue. However, it was still quite a unique dish. It was hot and cold, tasteless yet bursting with flavour. Does this dish contain a new type of chilli?

Abruptly, Valerie stood up, lifting a glass. "Once again, thank you, Hero Guang, for saving Alca from disaster. I raise this toast to you, for your bravery and service to the nation of Alca."

Guang swallowed the food, despite it prickling his throat like thorns. "But I didn't do much."

The smile that Jin sent him across the table was enough to send shivers down his spine. He was practically attacking Guang with a malicious aura. Not wanting to die today, Guang hurriedly added, "Thanks, though, pres."

Valerie laughed. "It's just a formality of sorts; I thought I ought to properly thank you. Besides, without your help, we wouldn't have been able to retrieve the ru...wait, where is it?"

Nervously, Valerie glanced up and down the table, even dodging his head beneath the table. As Valerie frantically searched, Guang popped the rest of the odd dish into his mouth and munched on it like a chipmunk.

"What are you looking for, pres?" Guang finally decided to ask when a minute had passed.

Valerie agitatedly ran a hand through his hair, making it messier than before. "The ruby you retrieved."

Immediately, Jin shot onto his feet. Alarmed, he demanded, "Is it lost?"

Valerie waved his hand. "It should still be in the room. I saw it not too long ago. It was somewhere over...there..."

Valerie and Jin's eyes slowly wandered towards Guang. Guang was beyond confused at the attention.

For clarification, Guang declared, "I haven't seen the ruby."

Jin, however, was still suspicious of him. "What are you eating?"

Guang suddenly felt nervous, despite not knowing what wrongdoing he had committed. "Um...I don't know what it is. Quite hard, sharp and crunchy, but also a bit spicy? I don't know! It was lil' prickly."

Jin facepalmed, mumbling something that might have been curses under his breath. Meanwhile, Valerie was smiling a little too widely, the corners of his lips twitching. Baffled, Guang looked at one person to another, trying to make sense of the situation.

Right then, a wave of dizziness hit him like a tsunami. His hand automatically flew to his mouth, suppressing a gag as he doubled over. His vision swam in and out of focus. His body burned feverishly, but he also felt freezingly cold. Crap, was it something he ate just now?

With his face queasily green, Guang croaked, "Guys, I think I'm going to-"

Before he could complete his sentence, with a dull thud, Guang had collapsed over the table.

***

It was hazy. Guang squinted, waving his hand over his face, trying to get rid of that nasty filter. After a few swipes did the haziness dissipate, and Guang found himself emerging from the temple, taking in a breath of the fresh, cool air. Today, it seems, was yet another day with lovely weather. Stepping out from the shelter of the roof, he bathed in the gentle rays of the sun that had just awoken from its slumber. Nice and warm they felt on his skin, rejuvenating him in their celestial glow.