Unresolved Wish

A duel: a face off, often combative in nature, on conditions agreed upon by two individuals. When a person challenges another to a duel, they are, in essence, placing their honour on the line. When the challenger loses a duel, not only will they lose their wager, but also their honour. To lose a duel as a challenger is a matter of immense shame, an unremovable stain on their name. They would be deemed by society as a foolish loser who is incapable of gauging their opponent's strength. However, depending on the societal rank of the challenged, when a challenger wins, they can gain immense respect from the people and even secure a high-ranking position in the government. Such cases have occurred already, when nameless commoners become police officers or soldiers overnight by literally beating up nobles in a duel.

With that being said, for the Hero reincarnated to challenge the Minister of Intelligence, it was like fighting an immovable object with an unstoppable force. The consequences of the duel are capable of destroying the order of Alcaen society as they know it - that's how serious the duel was.

Suffering from a serious case of second-hand embarrassment, Saturn covered his face. Jin, at the back, had an unreadable expression on his face, staying uncannily silent.

Meanwhile, the belly dancer, Opsidia, giggled amusedly. "Looks like you have trouble, Lord Janus."

Lord Janus disregarded her comment. Instead, he asked, "What are your conditions?"

That was...kind of easy. Guang thought that he would need to convince Lord Janus endlessly for him to agree to such a ridiculous demand. Not that he's complaining. He wasn't exactly good with words in the first place, so he had to change up the terrain where he had the advantage. For Guang, it was by changing this discussion into a knightly duel.

"If I win, you will remove that stupid law," Guang stated. "If you win, I promise to shut up about it until the day I die."

Saturn grabbed his wrist. "Mr. Long, please reconsider the duel."

Guang raised his eyebrows. He didn't expect Saturn to care this much about his safety. Even though he found that sentiment touching, he still had to do this. Thus, he placed a hand above Saturn's.

"It's OK, I'll be alright."

Guang took a few steps forwards, but without warning, he was pulled back again by Saturn.

In an undertone, Saturn murmured, "I'm serious, Mr. Long. I'm not being polite or anything. If you face Lord Janus in a duel, there's no guarantee you'll leave in one piece."

Was Lord Janus that strong? To be frank, Guang wasn't expecting much of a fight from Lord Janus since he was a minister, whose job was just to sit behind a desk and argue about politics.

Despite that, Guang shrugged off Saturn's hand. "I myself will determine whether I leave in one piece."

"Admirable determination," Lord Janus complimented. "But alas, this boils down to a pointless duel. I see no reason in accepting your challenge."

Crap, Guang was going to lose his only edge in negotiations. He opened his mouth, ready to provoke Lord Janus, but before that, Lord Janus continued, "However, if it teaches you to know your place, I shall entertain you a bit."

Guang let out a breath of relief. For the very first time, he bowed, showing some respect to Lord Janus. "Thank you for the opportunity."

"Saturn, you're up."

Saturn? Why Saturn?! Guang clearly demanded a challenge with Lord Janus, not Saturn! Saturn was an outsider in his personal beef with Lord Janus - his dissatisfaction won't be sated in a duel with an outsider!