04 | i'd rather eat glass

Once the meeting with Mizzen had ended, Bellona found herself wandering the halls as she waited for the next lesson, trying to come up with a strategy to help Mizzen win

Little did she know, someone was following her.

"I didn't know you lost your parent in the war," Festus spoke as he made his way next to her. Bellona laughed at that.

"We're not friends, Creed. I wouldn't expect you to," Bellona replied, continuing to walk, "Besides, it's not like I'm actually a Plinth. I always thought that was obvious."

Festus went quiet for a moment, looking down like he was lost in thought before speaking again.

"How'd you end up here then?" Festus asked her and from the look on his face, it was clear he was genuinely curious. Still, Bellona ignored his concern.

"Why wishing I wasn't?" she teased, finally looking up at him with a smirk. Festus cracked a smile as he playfully scoffed.

"Always," Festus replied, "But not right now."

Bellona let out a loud sigh at his persistence. Why did he care so much?

Maybe if she told him, he'd leave her alone.

"Sejanus was my friend and his parents knew mine. And after they died, there was nowhere else for me to go. It's simple really," Bellona admitted, hoping her honestly satisfied him.

She wished for anything. A joke. A look of disgust. An eye roll. But certainly not the look of pity that rested on Festus's face.

No. She wouldn't let him pity her. She's not something that he can pity.

"I need a smoke break," Bellona muttered, excusing herself as she walked outside, hoping Festus wouldn't follow. But Festus, like the puppy he was, continued to follow her.

Frustratedly, Bellona lit a cigarette she hid in her bag, taking a long inhale before sighing in relief.

Ignore him. He'll forget all about this tomorrow, Bellona told herself, trying to calm down.

But of course, Festus loved to make her life difficult.

"That's disgusting. It'll only kill you," Festus muttered as he watched her, eyes scanning her face as he scrunched his nose.

"Here's hoping," Bellona replied nonchalantly, causing Festus to scoff. Festus continued to berate her for her choices, going on a tangent about why smoking is bad. But, Bellona only ignored him, continuing to smoke as he watched.

"Where do you even get them? No one sells them?" Festus asked, continuing his little tantrum. Bellona let out a chuckle at his behavior. Is this how Festus felt when she got angry?