12 | a quiet morning

The Plinth household was rather quiet the next morning, full of tension and fear

The Plinth household was rather quiet the next morning, full of tension and fear. Ma had woken the two up extra early to have a large breakfast, hoping to ease their nerves, but Bellona could hardly stomach a bite.

Father didn't really care about easing his children's nerves though.

"You got home late last night, Bellona. Were you out with that boy again?" Father asked the girl, sending her a stern look. Bellona rolled her eyes, stomaching a piece of a croissant.

"I got home at a normal time. And if you must know, we were coming from official mentor business," Bellona shot back, causing her father to eye her for her tone.

"So things are going well between you two?" Ma asked, causing Sejanus to spit out some orange juice. Sejanus sent Bellona a bewildered look, wondering if she had told Ma something he hadn't known.

Bellona let out a laugh sigh, rubbing her forehead in frustration.

"We're just friends," Bellona replied sternly, before muttering under her breath, "If that."

Sejanus let out a loud laugh, overhearing Bellona's comment. Father, however, did not seem amused that his reprimanding of Bellona turned into a joking session.

"You two need to be on your best behavior today," Father warned, sending them both a look before directly addressing Sejanus, "I'm talking to you, Sejanus."

Once again, Bellona rolled her as at her father, turning to Sejanus with an annoyed look. Sejanus, too, looked done with Father, biting his cheek as he nodded.

"Well, we should probably head out," said Bellona, standing up as she gave Ma a peck on the cheek, "Let's go, Sejanus."

Sejanus quickly followed behind Bellona, giving Ma a hug before walking out the door.

-

The ride to the auditorium was rather quiet and Bellona found herself lost in thought as she debated with herself about the day. On one hand, she hated the idea of more children having to die at the hands of the Capitol. But another part of Bellona desperately needed them to for Mizzen to survive.

And she needed Mizzen to survive. There was no way she was letting a thirteen-year-old die.

"Bells," Bellona heard her brother mutter, pulling her out of her trance, "Are you okay?"

Bellona nodded sweetly as she squeezed her brother's hand.

"I'm okay. Are you?"

"No. But there's nothing I can really do about that," Sejanus replied, looking down at his lap in sadness. Bellona frowned as she squeezed his hand tighter.