13 | ring that bell

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the tenth annual Hunger Games

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the tenth annual Hunger Games. I am your host, Lucky Flickerman, coming to you live from the studio," Lucky announced, popping up on the screen in front of them. Then, the camera quickly flashed to Lepidus, who had been standing in the center of the room.

"And I'm Lepidus Malmsey, giving you an exclusive look at the behind-the-scenes with the mentors," Lepidus chimed in, winking toward the camera before smiling at Bellona. From next to her, Bellona could hear Lyssie squeal as Festus grunted.

"Get on with it," Festus muttered under his breath,  Lepidus a death glare. Bellona let out a scoff, keeping her attention on Lepidus as he droned on. Maybe Festus was right, he probably should get on with it.

"And here we have it, folks. A look inside the arena. It seems they're bringing the tributes in," said Lucky, cutting Lepidus off to reveal the tributes being escorted in. Bellona's eyes quickly scanned for Mizzen, taking a deep breath when she noticed the little boy headstrong as he stared at the weapons in the center. 

Good. Mizzen was okay.

But Bellona's relief didn't last long. Not when she saw what was in the center of the arena. 

Bellona quickly stood up in shock, covering her mouth as she stared at the boy from home, strung up on a beam half alive. 

"Marcus," Bellona breathed out, tearing up as she noticed the boy's face scrunched in pain. 

Sejanus also seemed to be affected by Marcus's punishment, flying out of his chair to the front of the room, and flinging one of the empty desks toward the screen.

"YOU'RE MONSTERS," Sejanus screamed, looking at the emotionless crowd, "ALL OF YOU."

Bellona bit her lip as she watched her brother storm out of the room, eyes flickering between the screen and Sejanus before running after him.

"Sejanus, wait!" Bellona called out, following Sejanus into the hallway. Sejanus looked up at her with tears in his eyes, letting his anger soften as he looked at Bellona.

"Oh, Sejanus," Bellona breathed out, pulling Sejanus in for a warm hug as she soothed his back, "I'm so sorry."

Sejanus relaxed in Bellona's touch, shoulders slumping as he let the tears pour out.