18 | the plinth prize

"Everyone pay attention

"Everyone pay attention. I have a special announcement," said Leipudus with a wide grin, "Festus. Stop talking."

Festus, who hadn't even been speaking a minute before cursed under his breath, rolling his eyes as he glared up at the man.

However, Bellona ignored him, eyes glued to how her father and brother conversed in the corner.

Why were they here? Could it have been for her? No, Father didn't like to make a spectacle. But then why else were they here?

But she didn't have to wonder for long. Not with the wide grin on Lepidus's face.

"I'm excited to announce that I have a fun little surprise for the remaining victors," Lepidus began, sending a smile her way as he announced a 'special treat'. All around her, Bellona could see her fellow mentors grow giddy. But she remained still, eyeing her father as he stared back at her.

Bellona gritted her teeth as her father clenched his jaw before looking away, waving at the crowd as if he were some celebrity. Him and that damn image of his.

Meanwhile, Sejanus kept his head down, refusing to look anywhere but the ground in front of him. It was clear he wasn't here by his own free will.

Lepidus, however, did not seem to care about the boy's devastated state, smiling brightly as he shoved the microphone in his face.

"So! Sejanus, I'm sorry we didn't get the time to discuss your tribute yesterday," said Lepidus, flashing Sejanus a sad smile, only to get distracted by the bandage on his face, "Oh my. What happened to your  face?"

Sejanus bit his cheek before responding lowly.

"Bike accident."

Immediately, Festus's eyes turned toward Bellona.

"Seems we need a lesson on bike safety," Festus teased Bellona, chuckling as he pointed between Coriolanus and Sejanus.

Bellona, however, ignored him, shifting uncomfortably. It felt strange for Festus to be the only other person in the room to know the truth. As if there were some secret between them that kept them tethered.

"Ouch. That must've hurt," said Lepidus, holding his face as if he had been the one to take the hit, "Anyways. Moving on to why you're really here. I hear you have an announcement."

Sejanus played with his pant legs as he nodded.

"Yes. The Plinth family, myself included, would like to announce that we will be giving a prize for a full ride to the University for whichever mentor's tribute wins the games," Sejanus muttered, mustering as much a smile as he could as Father wrapped an arm around him.