时间| Chapter 13

Xu Zheng spread out a piece of paper on the floor of their small home, and he and Huang Feng knelt down beside it. They had been discussing ideas for renovating the children's room, and now they were ready to put their plans on paper.

Xu Zheng picked up a piece of charcoal and began to sketch the outline of the room. "Let's start by drawing the dimensions of the room," he said. 

"Then we can add in the furniture and decorations that we plan to include." Huang Feng nodded, watching intently as Xu Zheng drew. "Don't forget to include the window," he reminded him. 

"The children love to look out at the garden."Xu Zheng added the window to his drawing, then began to sketch in the beds and a small desk for the children to use."What about some shelves for their books and toys?" suggested Huang Feng. 

Xu Zheng nodded and added the shelves to the drawing. "We can use some of the wood from the old table that we're replacing to make the shelves," he said. The two men continued to work on the drawing, discussing each element and how they could incorporate it into the renovation. 

They knew that they didn't have a lot of money to spend, but they were determined to create a warm and inviting space for their children.As they finished the drawing, Xu Zheng looked up at Huang Feng and smiled. 

"I think this is going to be a wonderful room for the children," he said. "They're going to love it." Huang Feng nodded in agreement. "Yes, it's going to be a lot of work, but it will be worth it to see the smiles on their faces."

Xu Zheng and Huang Feng were seated around their small table, going over the plans for renovating the children's room. They had agreed on the design and were now discussing materials." I think we should use stone for the floor and clay for the walls," said Xu Zheng. "It will be more durable and easier to keep clean."

Huang Feng nodded thoughtfully. "That sounds like a good idea, but won't stone be expensive?" Xu Zheng nodded. "Yes, it will be. I've checked with the local quarry, and they're charging 50 copper coins for one stone. We'll need at least 20 stones, so that's 10 teals of silver." Huang Feng's eyes widened. 

"That's a lot of money. Are you sure we can afford it?" Xu Zheng took a deep breath. "I'm sure. We still have money left from me selling the mushrooms, and we can also use the money on new furniture. And besides, the stone will last for years, so it's a good investment."

Huang Feng nodded slowly. "Okay, I understand. But how are we going to transport all of that stone to our house? It's too heavy to carry." Xu Zheng smiled. "I've already thought of that. I've arranged to borrow a mule cart from a friend. We'll be able to transport all of the stone in one trip."

Huang Feng smiled back. "You've thought of everything, haven't you? I'm impressed." Xu Zheng shrugged modestly. "I just want to make sure we do this right. Our children deserve a safe and comfortable room to call their own."

With that, the two men got to work, determined to make their children's room the best it could be.

. . . . . 

Xu Zheng walked nervously to Wu Cheng's house, what he told Huang Feng might have been a white lie, Although the original Xu Zheng did have a friend, he and Wu Cheng hadn't been on good terms lately, prior to his transmigration he and original Xu Zheng had an argument, but he really needed to borrow a mule cart to transport the stone for his children's room renovation.

He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. It was answered by Wu Cheng's husband, Wu Meng, a skilled carpenter. "Xu Zheng," said Wu Meng, surprise evident in his voice. "What brings you here?" Xu Zheng swallowed. 

"I need to speak to Wu Cheng

"I need to speak to Wu Cheng. It's urgent." Wu Meng stepped aside to let Xu Zheng in, and he found Wu Cheng sitting at the table, nursing a cup of tea.

"Wu Cheng," said Xu Zheng, "I need to borrow your mule cart. I know we haven't been getting along lately, but I really need your help."

Wu Cheng raised an eyebrow. "And why should I help you, Xu Zheng? You've made it clear that you don't want anything to do with me." 

Xu Zheng sighed

Xu Zheng sighed. "I know, and I'm sorry. I've been under a lot of stress with my sickness and everything. But I promise to make it up to you. Please, can I borrow the cart?" 

Wu Cheng considered for a moment, then nodded. "Very well, you can borrow the cart. But I expect you to return it in good condition, and I want you to apologize to my husband for the way you've been treating him."

Xu Zheng breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Wu Cheng. I promise to make it right." With that, he left the house, feeling a mixture of relief and guilt. He knew he had a lot of work to do to repair his relationships, but for now, he had the cart he needed to move forward with his renovation.

.....

Xu Zheng knelt down in the dirt, feeling the cool soil between his fingers as he planted some new seedlings. The garden was a labor of love for him, a place where he could nurture and cultivate life. 

As he worked, he heard Huang Feng stirring in the house. "Xu Zheng?" called out Huang Feng from the doorway. "Are you out here?" Xu Zheng stood up and turned to greet his husband. "Yes, I'm here. Just tending to the garden before the day gets too hot."

Huang Feng smiled. "It's looking good. You have a real knack for gardening. "Xu Zheng smiled back. "Thanks, Huang Feng. Now, are you ready to head out on your hunting trip?" Huang Feng nodded.

. . . . .

Huang Feng left the village behind, heading into the mountains with his bow and arrows slung over his shoulder. The air was crisp and clear, and the scent of pine and earth filled his nostrils.

He moved quietly through the forest, his footsteps barely making a sound as he kept his senses alert for any signs of game. 

He had been hunting in these mountains for years, and he knew the best places to look for deer and rabbits.

As he walked, he thought of Xu Zheng and the children back home. He knew they were depending on him to bring home some fresh meat for their next meal. He was determined to make them proud.

Suddenly, he heard a rustling in the bushes up ahead. He crouched down, drawing an arrow from his quiver and nocking it on his bow.

A rabbit emerged from the bushes, sniffing the air cautiously. Huang Feng took a deep breath and released the arrow in a single smooth motion. It flew through the air, hitting the rabbit with a soft thud.

. . . . .

Published 21.01.2024

Words. 1223