亲情深切| Chapter 23

In the days leading up to Zhan Wei's visit, the family threw themselves into the preparations with gusto. Xu Zheng and Huang Feng led the way, working alongside their children and Xu Zhu to clear the area for the well. They carefully removed any debris and stones that could interfere with the excavation process, while Xu Zhu offered helpful suggestions.

Huang Xu and Hua eagerly helped gather tools and supplies, carrying buckets and shovels with enthusiasm. Their excitement was contagious, and their energy helped keep the family motivated.

The entire family worked together to make a detailed list of materials they would need for the project, including lumber, rope, and buckets. They consulted with Zhan Wei to ensure that they had everything necessary, and their thoroughness impressed the seasoned well-digger.

When Zhan Wei arrived, he took note of the family's hard work and dedication, complimenting them on their preparedness and enthusiasm. 

Zhan Wei walked around the cleared area, carefully inspecting the ground and taking note of the surrounding landscape. He turned to Xu Zheng and Huang Feng, his face thoughtful. "You've chosen a good spot for the well," he said. "The ground seems suitable for digging, and the location is convenient for your home."

Xu Zheng nodded, relieved to hear Zhan Wei's assessment. "We're glad you think so. We've put a lot of thought into this project, and we're eager to get started."

Zhan Wei smiled, his gaze taking in the entire family. "I can see that. Your dedication and preparation are truly impressive. Now, let's discuss the materials you've gathered and ensure that we have everything we need before we begin."

Xu Zhu, who had been observing the proceedings with a keen eye, chimed in. "We've made sure to gather all the tools and supplies you recommended, Master Zhan. We're ready to work hard and see this well completed."

Zhan Wei's eyes crinkled with warmth at Xu Zhu's words. "I can tell that this is a family effort, and I'm honored to be a part of it. Let's get started, and with everyone's help, we'll have a fine well in no time."

As they began the well-building process, Zhan Wei offered guidance and instruction, while the family eagerly contributed their efforts. The sense of unity and cooperation was palpable, and the well became a symbol of their shared commitment and determination.

As the days progressed, the family and Zhan Wei worked tirelessly on the well. The excavation process was labor-intensive, but the promise of a reliable water source kept everyone motivated. They took turns digging, with Zhan Wei demonstrating the proper techniques and offering guidance along the way.

Xu Zheng and Huang Feng were diligent in their efforts, taking great care to follow Zhan Wei's instructions. The children, too, were eager to help, doing their best to move smaller rocks and buckets of dirt while their parents and A-bà worked on the deeper sections of the well.

Zhan Wei was impressed by the family's teamwork and determination. He had worked with many families in the past, but few had shown such unity and dedication to a project. It was clear that the well was more than just a means to access water; it represented the family's love and commitment to one another.

During their breaks, the family would gather around the work site, sharing meals and stories. A-bà recounted tales from his younger days, while the children shared their dreams for the future. These moments of respite strengthened their bonds and reminded them of the importance of their shared endeavor.

Slowly but surely, the well began to take shape. The hole grew deeper, and the family could sense the anticipation in the air. As they worked, the family also began to plan for the well's completion, discussing how they would celebrate their accomplishment and the many ways the well would improve their lives.

One evening, as the sun dipped below the horizon, Zhan Wei announced that they would reach the water source the following day. The family exchanged excited glances, their tiredness replaced by a renewed sense of determination. They knew that their hard work and dedication would soon pay off, and they couldn't wait to see the fruits of their labor.

As the family retired to their rooms for the night, their dreams were filled with anticipation for the completed well. The thought of having a reliable water source on their property brought them a sense of joy and accomplishment. However, the day's hard work had left them not only tired but also hungry.

Xu Zheng, noticing the rumbling stomachs of his family, suggested a midnight snack before they went to sleep. Everyone's faces lit up at the idea, and they quickly made their way back to the kitchen.

In the dimly lit kitchen, the family gathered around the table once more. Xu Zhu and Xu Zheng began preparing a simple yet satisfying meal of warm congee and pickled vegetables, while Huang Feng fetched some fruit from their stores. The children, Xu and Hua, helped set the table, their excitement for the midnight feast evident in their movements.

As they sat together, enjoying their late-night meal, the family chatted quietly, their voices a soft hum in the stillness of the night. They shared stories and laughter, savoring each other's company as much as the food before them.

"It's moments like these that remind me how blessed I am," Xu Zheng said, glancing around the table at his loved ones. "A family that works together, supports one another, and shares in both the joys and the challenges of life is truly a treasure."

The others nodded in agreement, their faces reflecting the warmth of his words. Huang Feng reached out to hold Xu Zheng's hand, and Xu Zhu smiled, pride evident in his eyes. 

As they finished their midnight snack and prepared to return to their beds, the family's bond was reaffirmed. The well they were building was more than just a source of water; it was a symbol of their unity, love, and resilience. And as they drifted off to sleep, their dreams were filled not only with the promise of the well's completion but also with the knowledge that their family's love would endure any challenge.

. . . . . 

Published. 21.04.2024

Words. 1026