4. Little sister

I felt like throwing up. I grabbed a long sleeve shirt from my closet and put on some jeans. I straightened my hair and put some makeup on. All this, while my body was telling me not to go. I shouldn't feel like this. I shouldn't be afraid of my boyfriend. I walked out of the house, step by step, getting closer to his house. I took in a deep breath before knocking on his front door. What I saw was not what I was expecting. A smiling Oliver, hugging me like nothing had happened. I hugged him back, feeling the relief run through my body. "Hi babe." He said, caressing my hair. I felt uneasy. Why was he so kind? "Hi." I smiled back and stepped into his house, it was cleaner than usual. Did he actually feel bad for what happened? Hence, the clean house. "About yesterday, I'm sorry. I just freaked out about Oscar being back." He finally opened his mouth. I turned to him, confused. "Why?" I was very confused about him freaking out about Oscar. He didn't know about my past, having a thing for him. "He just got out of prison, babe. He could be dangerous. He's in a gang for god's sake." He leaned against the wall. "So is my brother, Oli. Trust me, they're good people." I said. I hated the way he tried to brainwash me into being afraid of them. He always did this, and sometimes, for a second, I believed him. Crazy, I know. "I just never want to see you get hurt babe, I love you." He stepped closer to me. I wanted to roll my eyes from the hypocrisy, but I didn't. I hated how he always called me babe, the word is ruined to me. "I love you too." I said and hugged him. God I hated myself. I thought I was stronger than this, I'm from a family of Santos for heaven's sake. The empath in me felt guilty, for telling him I loved him. He took my face in his hands and kissed me, slowly. These moments always bring me back to the old days, the beginning of our relationship, how he made me feel like the only girl in the world. He pulled away and stared into my eyes. His eyes were green, beautiful, but not loving.

We went into his bedroom and just hung out. We talked about Cesar, school, and work. He was nice to have a conversation with, but not knowing when I say something wrong is terrifying. I had to be very careful when talking about Cesar, because he was the first cause of jealousy in our relationship. Oli seemed very calm though, which was kind of off putting. We ended up falling asleep in his bed, until my phone rang.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and answered. "Mana, you still at Oliver's?" I heard my brother's voice. "Yeah, is everything okay?" I asked. "Yeah, but it's getting late so you should be getting home, it ain't safe for you to be outside alone this late." He answered. I looked at the time and noticed it was indeed late. "Shit, I didn't notice the time, we were asleep." I put the phone on speaker while packing up my stuff. Oli woke up also, looking confused about my packing. "See you at home, Luna." My brother said and hung up. I grabbed my phone, wondering why he hung up. "Why are you leaving?" Oli asked and pointed at my bag. "It's 11pm!" I pointed at the time. He scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Just stay the night." He stood up from the bed. "I can't, I already told my brother I was coming home." I said looking at my phone. "Please babe, stay the night." He grabbed my hand. I hated that he didn't take no for an answer. "I really can't, I have to go." I pulled my hand away, getting nervous. He looked at me and laughed. "Right, go then." He went into the bathroom. I wasn't even mad, just confused. Why did he get upset? I grabbed my stuff and left. While I was walking home I repeated the situation in my head. Did he assume I was staying the night? Should I have told him that I wasn't gonna sleepover? Why did everything have to turn into drama with him? I walked up to the porch of my house and opened the door. Oscar was sitting on the couch in the living room, alone. "Where's Antonio?" I asked, receiving his attention. "He went to the cornershop real quick." He answered looking at his phone. He wasn't the chattiest kind, he was more of an observer. "Alright." I answered and started walking to my room. "Yo, Luna." I heard him say to me. I walked back to the couch and looked at him. "What's up?" I asked. He looked at me straight in the eyes, in a way he's never done before. "Why are you with him?" He asked, eyes filled with worry, but somehow also anger. "What do you mean?" I acted dumb. "Don't play that dumb shit with me." He stayed serious. "I don't wanna talk about it." I sighed. "Come on now, Luna." He continued. "Why do you care? It's my situation, I've got it under control." I said, trying to avoid eye contact. "Are you kidding me? Of course I care!" He raised his voice. "I mean, you're Sad Eyes' sister." He said. His words disappointed me. I'll always be just Antonio's sister. "Whatever." I started walking back to my room. God, that was childish of me, now I really acted like a little kid, like a little sister. "If you ain't gonna talk to me, you should at least tell your brother, he would kill for you." He stayed seated. I felt a knot in my stomach. I wanted to tell him everything at that moment, but I knew the consequences if I did. I walked to my room without saying a word, holding back tears.