13. The party

It didn't take long for Monse, Ruby, Jamal and Cesar to arrive, and it didn't take long for me and Valeria to get drunk either. Valeria was excited to meet Ruby and Monse and they got along instantly. I tried to get my mind off of Oscar, but it was difficult. I felt stupid, and embarrassed. What was I thinking? I looked in his direction and the girl had disappeared. He was now smoking, alone.

He looked back at me and I quickly turned my head. I don't know why I did that. "So, Valeria, did you have family members already living here before y'all moved?" Monse asked Valeria. "Actually, my mom grew up here, and my grandparents still live here. My grandpa's sick, so we moved here so my grandma wouldn't be alone." Valeria answered with a smile on her face. The table was silent for a second. "I'm sorry about your grandpa." Jamal said. Valeria looked at him and smiled. "It's fine, he's lived a long life. Thanks tho, I appreciate it." She smiled and looked around, seeing people, drinking, dancing and kissing. "I don't want this to turn into a pity party, let's do something fun!" Valeria continued. "Like what?" Ruby asked. "Let's dance or something." Valeria suggested and grabbed my arm. "Oh, we're not really dancers." Cesar said. "Yeah, I need more booze if you want me to dance." Monse added. Valeria sighed and got up, still holding my arm. "Jamal? Ruby?" She asked. "I'm not really feeling like getting laughed at by others, even tho my dancing skills are immaculate." Ruby rolled his eyes. Valeria turned her eyes to Jamal. "Sorry, I'll watch tho." He said, again trying to seem cool, which didn't fit him at all. "Oh my god!" I whispered to Jamal. "Girl you know I ain't talking about you." He whispered back, returning to the same old Jamal.

Valeria sighed and dragged me to the area where people were dancing. She grabbed my hands and started dancing with a less enthusiastic me. "Are you still upset about him?" Valeria asked me, looking at Oscar's direction. "I'm sorry." I groaned. "You know what'll make you feel better?" She asked with a small smile on her face. "What?" I asked. "If you can't get with him, get with someone else." She said quiet enough for only me to hear. "How would that make me feel better?" I rolled my eyes. "Maybe he'll get jealous." She grinned. "I think it was quite obvious he doesn't see me that way." I said. "There's only one way to find out." She smiled and pushed me onto a guy. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry." I said to the guy. He turned around, and to be honest he was kind of cute. I didn't know him, but I've seen him around the block. "Nah, don't worry, it's all good. You wanna dance?" He asked. I looked at Valeria giving me a thumbs up and winking. "Sure." I smiled.

We danced and I could feel the liquor in my head, the guy's body pressed against my back and his hands on my hips. For a moment, I forgot about Oscar. I started to have fun and enjoy the moment, the music was filling my ears and I let my body take over. The guy got closer and closer, to the point where I could feel his breath on my neck. I looked over to Valeria who was smiling, and trying to mouth something to me. She pointed at Oscar and it looked like she was trying to say that he was staring. I'm not sure tho. Why would he? I want to forget about him, for tonight, and not get my hopes up. The guy quickly turned me around, so I was facing him. "You fine as hell, ma." He licked his lips. To be honest it kind of gave me the ick. But Valeria was right, it made me feel better, and got my mind elsewhere. "Thanks." I smiled. And just like that, his lips were pressed against mine. I hesitated for a second, before giving in. It wasn't really my thing to kiss random people at parties, but hell, why not? It definitely made me think of something else, Valeria was right.

After a while I stepped back. "This was fun, but I gotta go to my friends." I smiled at him. He looked at me with drunken eyes and smiled. "See you around." He said. I walked away smiling to myself, knowing that I will not be seeing him around. I went back to the table where everyone was, and they looked at me in awe. "What the hell was that, woman?" Jamal yelled. I laughed, looking back at him and lifting my shoulders. "Is there something happening with you two that we don't know about?" Monse asked, pointing between me and the guy. "No, definitely not." I shook my head. "I hope not, he made fun of my height in middle school." Ruby muttered. "Oh my god, hun I'm so sorry." I laughed and patted Ruby on the back. "Have y'all seen Valeria?" I asked, looking around. "I think she went to the bathroom." Cesar said. I walked inside, grabbed another drink and waited outside the bathroom for her. When she came out she suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me to my room. "How was it?" She asked with her jaw on the floor and eyes full of excitement. "I mean, it definitely got my mind off of Oscar." I laughed and sipped my drink. "Yeah, and got you on his mind." Valeria mumbled. "What do you mean?" I laughed. "I tried to tell you, he was staring." She said, playfully hitting my shoulder. "No, he wasn't." I said, not wanting my hopes up again. "I swear to god. He was sittin' there smoking, and couldn't keep his eyes off of you." Valeria pointed at the door. I looked at her and just shook my head. "Protective or jealous, either way, he didn't like it." She added. I turned around walking out of my room, and she followed me. "Have you had fun tonight?" I changed the subject. "Yeah, I really have, your friends are so cool." Valeria said. "Well, now you're one of 'em." I smiled. We walked back to the table where the rest were sitting, and it looked like they were having fun. They were all laughing at something Jamal had said. "So I guess y'all are having fun?" I laughed and sat down. "Jamal's an idiot." Monse laughed, shaking her head. "What did he do?" Valeria asked, wanting in on the conversation. "Nothing!" Jamal yelled, startling everyone. "Jamal, can you stop doing that!" I yelled, holding my chest. "I'm sorry, it was just stupid." Jamal turned to Valeria, clearly hiding what he had earlier said. "Okay." Valeria smiled.

"Hey, we should play a game." I said, getting everyone's attention. "What game?" Ruby asked. "How about fuck, marry, kill?" Valeria suggested, which made Jamal choke on his drink. We looked at Jamal who just gave us a thumbs up. "Okay who wants to go first?" I asked. "Wait, how are we playing this?" Valeria asked. "What do you mean?" Monse asked. "Are you gonna give me three people, and I have to decide out of them? Or are we just gonna say who we'd fuck, marry and kill at this table?" She specified. "The first way." I said. "Okay, who's gonna go first?" Valeria asked. "How about you?" Monse said, pointing at Valeria. "Aight, I'm ready." Valeria said, and rubbed her hands together. Monse and I whispered to each other and quickly made our decision. "Ruby, Jamal and Cesar." I said, with a smirk on my face caused by the scared looks on the guys' faces. "Hmm, I'd fuck Cesar, marry Jamal, and kill Ruby." Valeria said, hiding her face. "I'm so sorry Ruby, it's nothing personal." She added, patting Ruby's shoulder. "I'd kill you too, it's all good." Ruby said, being his sassy old self. Cesar grinned and Jamal was oddly quiet. "You good Jamal?" I asked, wanting to annoy him. "Yeah, I'm totally good, perfect actually." He rambled, his voice cracking. I noticed a stare between Cesar and Monse, that lasted a bit too long for just friendship, but I moved on from it.

We continued playing the game for a while, until we noticed people starting to leave, and the party becoming more of a hang out. "Hey, as fun as this has been, I think I should go home." Jamal said, stretching his arms out. "Yeah I should go too, I didn't notice the time." Monse said, looking at her phone. They got up and started cleaning the bottles up. "Just leave it, we'll clean up in the morning." I smiled. "Okay, well thanks for tonight, it was fun." Monse hugged me. "And thank your brother for us, please." Ruby said. "He's not that scary, but I will. Good night. I laughed. "I gotta go too, I'll go tell Oscar I'm going home." Cesar said and hugged me. "Okay, see you tomorrow." I said and watched them walk away. "Should I be leaving too?" Valeria asked beside me. "I mean, no you don't have to. If it was up to me, you could stay the night." I laughed. "Well, work starts at 11am so I could, I don't live far from here." She suggested. "Wow, we met today and you're already jumping in my bed." I joked. "Shut up!" Valeria pushed me and laughed.