15. Heatwave

The walk to work felt like forever, and the thought of smelling fast food all day wasn't very appealing. Valeria had gone home to get ready for work, also not feeling that well. When I got to work, Cesar was stacking the fridge. "Good morning, sunshine." He teased. "Shut up." I groaned, grabbing a coke from Cesar's hand. "So, I guess you had a fun night?" Cesar chuckled. I took a sip of my coke and leaned on the counter. "haha." I grimaced. "Did something happen after I left? Oscar was acting weird all morning." He said. I wondered if he was off because of the talk we had, but I doubt he would let my words get to him. Before I could answer him, we heard Valeria walk through the doors, and we couldn't help but laugh at her rough appearance. Cesar was about to say something until Valeria cut him off. "Shut up." She pointed her finger at him.

The day went by fast, but not easy. We were in the middle of a heatwave, so handling hot food with a hangover and a possible heat stroke wasn't the best possible scenario. I walked home feeling like I was in the middle of the desert, step by step getting closer to water. Once I reached my yard I felt like dramatically dragging my body up the steps, but physically, I walked like a champ. When I opened the door my brother was sitting on the couch, alone. "I'm dying." I breathed dramatically. "Go take a cold shower, helped me." Antonio laughed and nodded towards the shower.

Without saying anything, I walked straight to the bathroom and turned the shower to ice cold. It may have been the most relief I've ever felt, but walking out of the bathroom, the warm, musty air hit my face like a punch. I went into my room and instantly opened the window, I don't know why I thought it would help. I put on shorts and a top and went into the kitchen to get a big glass of water. I sat down in the living room next to my brother, and let out a sigh. "I guess it didn't help much." He chuckled. I tied my wet hair up in a bun and glared at him. "In times like this I wish we were rich and had a pool." I whined. "Let's go to the public pool, it's open today." Antonio said. "It is?" I sat up straighter. "Yeah, we could all go." He said, referring to Cesar and Oscar. I wasn't sure how it would be to see Oscar, after all I made a complete fool of myself in front of him. But the thought of a pool did sound amazing. "You think Oscar would come to a pool full of screaming kids?" I laughed. "It won't hurt to ask." Antonio smiled. He got up to get his phone to call them and he got an answer quickly. "They're coming." I got up from the couch and went into my room to change into a bikini, and threw on the clothes I had earlier.

I grabbed some sunscreen and a towel, and went outside where my brother was waiting in his car. "Are we gonna pick 'em up?" I asked, thinking if I should let Oscar sit in front. "Yeah." Antonio answered. I opened the door and sat down on the backseat. "You don't have to do that." My brother laughed looking back at me. "It's okay, I have to talk to Cesar anyways." I smiled. When we stopped in front of their house, my heart started pounding. I watched Oscar walk in front of Cesar, wearing black sunglasses, which didn't make it easier for me to analyze his mood. Cesar opened the door and sat down next to me, with a smile on his face. My brother started the car and put some music on, which helped with my awkward state. "So, Cesar." I turned to look at him. "What's up?" He looked at me. "Is there something going on with you and Monse, or am I losing it?" I smirked. I noticed a small twitch in his eyes, which meant that there indeed was something. "I don't know what you're talking about." He looked away. "Okayyyy..." I whispered sarcastically. "You can tell me, you know I can keep a secret." I added. "I don't know what it is yet, so I don't wanna talk about it, yet. I'll tell you when there's something to tell." He mumbled. I laughed and put my arm around him. "My Lil Spooky is gonna get lucky." I teased, receiving a glare and my arm pushed away. He tried to look tough, but ended up smiling.

When we arrived at the pool, there were a lot of people, but not as many as I would've expected. We found a free spot where we put our stuff, and sat down. I sat next to Cesar and grabbed my sunscreen out of my bag. Oscar, who hadn't said a word to me since last night, was standing beside his seat. He was wearing his black tank top, and swimming trunks. Damn, he looked good. Before I could stop daydreaming, he grabbed the hem of his shirt. Oh my god he's gonna take his shirt off. He crossed his muscly, tattooed arms and pulled his top off. I swear I was seeing in slow motion. He somehow looked even bigger and stronger without his shirt. Fuck, this wasn't a good idea. "Yo Luna." I felt Cesar tap me. I quickly turned around. "Can you put some sunscreen on my back?" He asked. "Yeah of course." I blinked. While I was putting the sunscreen on Cesar's back, I thought about how this would probably be every girl's dream. Putting sunscreen on your handsome bestfriend's toned back, but no, I was dreaming about his brother. Once I was done, I turned around and took my clothes off, so I was left in my bikini. I looked around and noticed the slightest, fastest look from Oscar. He quickly looked away and sat down. Oh? The second lasting stare somehow gave me an ego boost. Maybe this was my time to shine, to show him that I'm more than he thinks, more than a fragile girl that needs protection, and more of a woman, and a hot one at that. "Mana, put some sunscreen on." I heard Antonio say. Bro. Back to the fragile, easily sunburnt girl we went. I picked up the sunscreen and started putting it on, hearing a chuckle from Oscar's direction. Gosh, he really knew how to get on my nerves. After I was finished I laid down on the chair, and tried to relax.

"Shouldn't y'all be swimmin' or something?" Antonio interrupted my relaxation. "Yeah, Luna, let's go swimming!" Cesar poked my thigh. "Do y'all know how many kids have peed in that pool?" I mumbled with my eyes closed. "Come on, Luna." My brother said. Me ignoring them caused an uncomfortable silence, and just as I was about to open my eyes, I felt someone grab the back of my knees and my back. "Cesar, put me down!" I yelled trying to squirm out of his hold. "Nope." He smirked. I looked at Antonio and Oscar, who were laughing their asses off. Wow, so this was the way to finally get some kind of reaction from Oscar. "I will go to the pool!" I screamed, right before he threw me in. I got out of the pool completely soaked and pissed. I looked at the very dry men in front of me, and got an idea. "You look like you need a hug, mano." I said, opening my arms. "Hell no, you're wet!" Antonio yelled. I let out a devilish laugh and ran to him, shaking my head so my hair would splatter water all over him. "We really should hug more often." I sighed, looking at my now also pissed, brother. "Why you acting like it was me that threw you in?" He groaned. "Oh, don't act like it wasn't your idea!" I snapped. I heard Oscar laughing beside the pool, and I got an even better idea. I walked over to my seat, pretending to grab my towel, but I grabbed his arm instead, and pushed him in the pool. Unfortunately, he got a hold of my waist, and pulled me in with him. When we got to the surface, we were face to face, and he noticed the strap of my bikini top down my shoulder. He lifted it up, quickly, before he turned to the guys, who were laughing like I've never seen before. "You're gonna pay for that." Oscar said, getting out of the pool. I was too stunned from his little gesture, to answer him with anything but a laugh. "You're brave for that." Cesar said. I glared at him, and sat down. Cesar scooched closer to me, making me move. "You know, about your little question earlier." He whispered in my ear. "What about it?" I sighed, throwing a towel over my shoulders. "Is there something going on with you and my brother?" He asked quietly, making me tense. "No, why would you think that?" I laughed nervously. "I was just wondering if some old feelings were coming back." He questioned. "They're not." I lied. "Alright, I'd like to know if they were." He added. "I know." I said, patting my hair with the towel.