11. New friend

I got home after school, going straight to my room to get ready for work. Jamal's dad had us working for the whole weekend, since we got a few days off for school. I dropped my bag on the floor, and started changing into my work t-shirt. It didn't bother me to work for the weekend, mostly 'cause I didn't have any plans since dumping Oli, and Cesar and Jamal were there so it was fun. Weekends were usually busy, so I wouldn't get bored either. Once I was changed, I grabbed my phone and went into the living room where Antonio was watching tv. "I have work for the weekend, so I have to go." I said, tying my hair into a ponytail. "When you coming home?" Antonio asked. "8-ish I think, why?" I said. "The homies are coming over tonight, you can invite your friends too." He answered from the couch. "As if they're brave enough to party with Santos." I laughed. Antonio rolled his eyes and turned his eyes back to the tv.

When I arrived at work Cesar and Jamal were already there. They were sitting in the kitchen, talking. "Hi guys." I greeted, putting my bag down. "We've got major news." Jamal stood up, grabbing my shoulders. Knowing Jamal, the word major didn't always mean major. "What is it?" I sighed. Before Jamal could say anything, his dad walked in with a girl. "Hey, Luna! This is Valeria, she's gonna be working with you guys from now on." He said. "Hi." Valeria smiled. She seemed nice, and she was gorgeous. "Hi, it's nice to meet you!" I said. I looked at the guys, who looked like they'd never seen a girl before in their lives. "I'm sorry about them, they're not used to seeing pretty girls." I rolled my eyes, sending them a look. "Oh, come on, you're here!" Valeria said, pointing at me. "I'm old news." I laughed. "Has anyone shown you what to do here?" I asked her, walking to the counter. "No, I think you're supposed to help me." She smiled. "Okay! Well it's pretty simple, you just go to the tables, take orders and take them to the kitchen. Then you'll just take them to the tables when they're ready." I said. "Well, that seems easy enough." She smiled, wiping her hands on her shirt. "It's normal to be nervous on the first day, if any questions come up just ask me and I'll help you." I sent her a smile.

"Thanks. Are the guys normally that quiet?" She asked, referring to Cesar and Jamal. "Not at all, I can promise you when you get to know them better, you'll beg Jamal to be quiet." I couldn't help but laugh. She laughed back, and I continued to show her how to work the register.

The day went on, and Valeria had got the hang of it very quickly. It was a surprisingly busy day, so we didn't really have time to talk that much. All I found out was that she had just moved here, and she's living with her parents and her sister. She's the same age as us, and she's finishing school here with us. Once we were close to closing, it got quieter so we all hung out at the counter. Even Jamal and Cesar had begun talking to Valeria, which made her more comfortable. "Hey, Jamal, my brother is having a party tonight, do you wanna come? I'll ask Ruby and Monse too." I remembered to ask. Jamal looked at me in shock. "Oh hell nah! One wrong move and I'm gone." He yelled dramatically. Cesar looked at me and we both burst into laughter. Valeria seemed confused. "What's wrong with her brother?" She asked. Jamal turned to her with his jaw on the floor. "Oh you mean their brothers? They're terrifying, they're in a gang!" He whisper-yelled. "Jamal!" I hit him. "Am I wrong?" He asked, holding his arm. "He's being insanely dramatic, our brother's are good people." Cesar turned to Valeria. "Mhmm." Jamal mumbled. "A party sounds fun." Valeria said. "You should come! We can get to know you better and you'll meet Monse and Ruby too!" I suggested. "Really? That's so nice, I'll be there!" She smiled. "Great! So it'll be us, minus Jamal, and Ruby and Monse." I said. Jamal looked at Valeria and coughed. "Nah, I was just playin', I'll be there." Jamal said, leaning on the counter, trying to seem cool. Valeria laughed, which just made me and Cesar roll our eyes. "Can I get your number so I can send you the address? You can come whenever you want, I think they've already started." I asked Valeria. "Yeah, of course!" Valeria smiled and gave me her address. It was nice to have a new friend.