Chapter 4

There was a loud knock on his door. Seng was not an early riser. But when Freen left this morning, slamming the door behind, he awoke and couldn't go back to sleep.

He made his way to the door, opened it and almost shut it again, when he saw Becky Armstrong standing before him, eyes red with rage? Hurt? Both?

"I..." He began to say.

"Don't. Please... I've come for the locket she left behind."

Seng noticed Freen's friend, Nam in the hallway near the elevators.

"Cai... uhhh... I texted her this morning about it..."

"Cai. We saw your messages." Becky replied, coldly and firmly.

Seng caught Nam's eyes and she nodded to him, signalling him to not say more than needed.

"Come in, I'll get it for you." He said.

"I'd rather wait out here. I have a plane to catch." Becky said. At that even Nam looked confused.

Seng turned around, retrieved the locket and handed it over to Becky. He saw Becky hold down a sob when she took it in her hand.
"Listen, Becky... this doesn't seem right. You're leaving town? Freen... we made a mistake... we didn't mean..."

"It is none of your business where I'm going. And you do not get to speak on behalf of Freen!"

"I know, but last night... she was hurting... I was drunk out of my mind... I mean, if you want to punch me right now, I wouldn't even fight it."

Becky was quiet for a moment. Then she finally looked him straight in the eyes and spoke with so much confidence it almost scared him. "I knew Freen was hurting. So don't make it seem like I was the clueless lover here..."

"I wasn't..." He tried to defend.

"And you shouldn't have been the one trying to offer her comfort even if you picked up on her hurting... that's what I was waiting home for her!" She continued. "And, I would never raise my hand on Freen no matter how angry I may be. Given that you were both equally consenting in this, I have no right to raise my hand on you. If Freen reaches out to you about this locket, tell her it's safe."

With that, Becky turned around and started walking towards the elevators.

"I'm sorry!!" He called out to her.

Becky simply looked at him blankly, then back at the locket she was ever so fond of caressing when she and Freen made love, she pocketed it and hit the elevator button.

//

"This isn't necessary, nong..." Nam pleaded. Standing with Becky outside the airport.

"No, but it is. I can't be here, P'Nam."

"She has an explanation... Don't you want to at least hear her out?"

"I'm not ready for it. And it's going to take me a long while to be okay about this, and until then I can't be near her."

"You can live with me na. I'll make sure she doesn't reach out to you until you're ready to face her."

Becky laughed sadly at that. "Sweet P'Nam, you were her friend before you were mine. You should go back to her and hold her. Try and comfort her. I know she's sorry for what she did. I'm just not ready to hear it. This... these last two weeks have torn me."

"So that's it? You're just going to let 8 years of this relationship go, just like that?"

"Careful what you say, phi, I'm not the one who let it go."