Chapter 10

Freen was driving, Mind was riding shotgun. Nam and the kids in the backseat. Beckett and Emily were keeping Nam entertained. Mind stole a glance towards Freen, she seemed so tense, so deep in thought. Ever since she and Becky came over yesterday, Mind's been meaning to get some alone time with Freen, it's been so long since they talked.

The last time she had a heart-to-heart with her was when Freen made a promise to her. Something on the lines of: "I could never love another the way I love Becky. She's the one. I know it. And I have every intention of taking care of her heart until death parts us."

"We should talk..." Mind said softly to Freen.

Freen almost didn't hear her, so lost inside her own head, her own thoughts too loud. Freen was brought out of her reverie when she heard Mind's voice. She turned to look at her.

"We should talk, you and I, Freen."

Freen looked into her rear view mirror to see that the kids and Nam were engrossed in their own conversations. "Ka..."

"When we get back, maybe?" Mind asked.
Freen nodded.

//

Mind was standing before one of the largest paintings in the gallery. She just stood there feeling something move inside her. She wasn't someone who knew anything about art. But here, staring at this painting, every colour every brush stroke seemed alive and bright and in some way, it cased a sense of awe in her.

"Beautiful na ka?"

Nam came up to stand beside her. Mind looked at her and said, "Ka..."

They both stared at it for a while, just really taking it in when Mind felt now would be the right time to talk to her about this morning.

"Nothing about this is easy for Becky, you know?"

Nam wasn't expecting this conversation, but if Mind wanted to have it, then so be it."Cai... well, it's just as difficult for Freen."

"Becky been angry since the day she came to Chiang Mai. I saw it in her eyes, even through tears."

"And Freen's been living with guilt ever since. That doesn't mean Becky can go around treating Freen like absolute shit, even if she believes they can't love each other ever again."

"But that's just it. Deep down Becky doesn't believe that. But nothing's going to move in that direction for as long as she still has all that anger stored deep down inside her."

"So what are you saying na? We're just supposed to stand around and watch Becky snap at Freen, make her feel like shit?"

"I'm not saying that. Becky doesn't want to hurt Freen. Even though it looks like she does. She loses control of her words when her anger bubbles up. And you know her, she can't deal with anger well. She'd bottled it up all these years after Emily came into our lives, but I think seeing Freen again, is finally bringing it all out."

Nam was silent for a moment. She looked around, making sure Freen and the kids weren't looking their way. She then looked at Mind and said, "Come with me na.." and took her hand in hers.

Nam led Mind around the corner wall of the gallery towards a door at the other far end of the gallery.

"What's behind that door?"

"Patience, Khun!" Nam quietly pulled open the door and pulled Mind in behind her, shutting the door quickly behind them.

"What is this place?"