Chapter 59

Nam knocked on Beckett's door.

"Khun Fin ka... can I come in?"

There was a heavy moment of silence but then finally she heard his voice from inside.

"Kub... sure." He said.

Nam pushed his door open slowly, and stepped in to find him sitting at the edge of his bed, looking down at his feet, his arms folded across.

"Can we talk?"

Again, another heavy moment of silence until he said, "Kub... sure na."

She came up to sit down beside him, and put an arm around his shoulder. "Are you upset that I'm leaving?"

"You're just gonna up and leave? Just like that? What about Ma? Ma needs you here." Beckett said.

"Come here na..." Nam said, as she pulled his head down to rest on her shoulder. "Your moms are perfectly fine. It's alright to admit you need me na? I'd be offended if you implied you didn't..."

He chuckled lightly.

"I need you, Auntie..."

It was so vulnerable and sweet and Nam had never felt her heart break so bad before. Nam was about to say something, when he lifted his head off her shoulder, sighed and then looked at her.

"But I do understand this is your chance to have the family and the life you've probably always dreamed of, Auntie..."

Nam nodded slowly, still so overwhelmed and proud of this little boy she's watched grow in front of her eyes.

"And I do understand we've kept you to ourselves long enough..." Beckett added.

Nam smiled. Beckett put his arms around her and gave her a tight hug.

"I'm sorry na, you deserve this and so much more." He said. "I'll miss you..."

"I'm gonna be just one call away, my little Fin..." Nam assured him and kissed his head.

When they were about to head downstairs, Beckett suddenly went back into his room.

"What is it?" Nam asked him.

"Stay right there." He told her.

He came back out and handed her this little red blanket. "A little gift for your baby, whenever he or she's out in the world."

Nam looked down at the tiny little blanket and a flood of emotions overwhelmed her. She had given this little blanket to him when he was about a year and half. And he would hold on to it while sleeping. He'd carry it around the house with him when he'd first learned to walk. It held every memory of his firsts.

"Beckett Fin, I can't have this... this is yours na ka..." Nam insisted.

"Who said it's for you?" He said with a smile. "I said it's for your and Auntie Mind's baby."

"Then come give it to me when he or she is born na?" Nam said with a smile, holding it out to him.

Beckett thought for a moment and finally took it back. "Deal!" he said.

//

"I honestly thought it would take longer to have him come around." Freen said as they walked up to their bedroom.

"You underestimate our kids' level of maturity..." Becky said, reaching to take Freen's hand in hers so that they could walk the rest of the way hand in hand.