Chapter 28

"Ka, phi, she took it well, quite maturely in fact."

"That's amazing na.."

"I do owe her a strawberry ice cream cake for keeping a secret."

Mind laughed. "Well I'm sure Freen would be happy to pick another one up."

"I can get it myself. I ordered the one on her birthday didn't I?"

Mind laughed again. "She still hasn't told you about that, na?"

"Told me what? What are you talking about?"

//

Freen was too distracted to notice when Becky came back into the room, but her voice was what she heard before she actually looked at her.

"Babe ka! Why didn't you tell me about Emi's cake mishap?"

Freen's eyes widened. She was scared now. Looking up at Becky now, she could see Becky looked livid. "I... uhh... okay... Becky, let me explain.."

Becky crossed her arms in front of her, standing tall before Freen seated on the couch.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I went to the store on time, I picked up the cake, kept it on the passenger seat. I was all set to come over and show you I had done exactly what you asked for. But I should have been smarter. Because I hit the brakes too hard when I spotted a lost kitten on the road and the cake fell forward and was completely ruined! And I was so afraid you'd be angry with me, and I really wanted to just prove to you that I can be trusted. I just really wanted to make the most of that small chance you gave me, I didn't want to fuck it up. So... I went around town desperately looking for a strawberry ice cream cake. And it's a made-to-order cake, so I knew my chances of finding one was pretty unreal. But I couldn't not do something, this was important to me, I wanted you to be able to rely on me..."

Becky shifted her weight from one foot to the other. Freen quickly continued.

"I almost had a panic attack when no one had the cake, but as if by some miracle, the last store I went to, had a 2 kg strawberry ice cream cake made for a corporate party who had to cancel last minute. I took it. And I was late.  I drove crazier than I ever have to get to the party in time. And made P'Nam swear she wouldn't tell you. I'm sorry na..."

Freen looked vulnerable, sitting there before Becky, looking at her with eyes so worried, afraid this would mean 2 steps backward than forward in whatever they were trying to achieve between them.

"I'm really sorry. I should have just been honest with you then..." Freen said again, when she realized Becky wasn't saying anything.

Freen's body froze. Becky's lips were on hers. Becky's hands pushing Freen's shoulders behind so that her back was resting against the backrest of the couch, Becky climbed onto Freen's lap and her tongue was seeking entrance into Freen's mouth.

Their tongues met each other and teased and tasted, Becky sucked on Freen's lips, kissing her passionately and with so much vigour. Wine, and a flavor that was so Becky.

Freen wasn't breathing. When Becky pulled away a little for a moment to check if Freen was okay, Freen took a deep breath. Her eyes still shut. She then pinched her own skin on her hand and opened her eyes to find Becky was still sitting on her lap, and grinning mischievously.

"So that really happened?" Freen asked.

"Don't believe it?" Becky asked, Freen shook her head.

Becky leaned in once more and kissed Freen, this time, Freen kissed her back, having recovered from the shock. Freen let her arms wind around Becky's waist, pulling her closer, Becky gasped between kisses and Freen giggled.