Chapter 27

"So you were kissing Auntie Freen?" Emily asked when Freen joined them in the living room. Emily was sitting on the couch, while Freen took a seat next to her, and Becky sat on the center table before them.

Becky was trying so hard to read her baby girl's expressions. Was she upset by what she saw? Was she neutral towards it? Was she okay with it? Did it seem normal? Well of course it wouldn't have felt normal, right? Hell! It didn't even feel normal to her.

It felt.... all kinds of crazy. Especially after all these years, that level of intimacy, she didn't even know how much she had wanted it. The feeling of Freen's cheeks against her lips, it was like... time travelling back to when they were learning each other.

"Cai, I was kissing Auntie Freen's cheek..." Becky admitted.

"So I was right." Emily said. "Does this mean you're in love? With Auntie Freen?" she continued.

Becky sneaked a glance towards Freen and then back to Emily.

"Honey, it's more complicated than that." Becky hadn't meant to upset Freen, but it was the truth, and she tried to feel nothing when Freen shifted uncomfortably in her seat at hearing her say that.

"Then why were you kissing her?" Emily asked. Emily quickly looked at Freen then, "Are you in love with Mami?" she asked Freen.

Freen opened her mouth to say something, but Becky interrupted.

"Let me explain this na..." Becky said. "Honey, I'm going to tell you something, and I want you to listen carefully before reacting okay..."

"Okay..." Emily looked confused.

"Remember when we first met Auntie Freen, and I told you we're old friends from the time we were kids?"

"Ka."

"All of us, Auntie Nam, Auntie Freen and I studied in the same school, grew up together. Well... I didn't tell you the entire truth." Becky admitted.

"You lied to me, Mami?"

Becky reached out to hold her hands in hers, and Freen put a protective arm around the little girl. "No, I didn't lie to you honey bee, we really were the best of friends back then."

"Then what didn't you tell me?" Emily asked, utterly confused.

Becky took a deep breath then. "Auntie Freen was my girlfriend too."

Emily looked at Freen and then back at her Mami. Freen had a sheepish smile on her face.

"She was my friend first. My best friend. And then we fell in love. We grew older together, we were there for each other through college years and even for a few years after that..."

"Then what happened?" Emily asked.

Freen began, "I did something wrong. Something that hurt your Mami, a great deal. And she was right to end things with me."

"What did you do?" Emily asked.

Freen looked shameful. But she also looked determined to be truthful to this little angel and Becky didn't want Emily to know all the details just yet.

"It doesn't matter na. The fact is, it's in the past now. And we've both been able to put it behind us... mostly." Becky said as she looked at Freen, she nodded in acknowledgement.

"So now, you're back together? Is Auntie Freen your girlfriend again?"

"No! No honey... she's not my girlfriend." Becky said immediately.

"I don't understand..."Emily began.

"We're not dating, if that's what you need to know, honey..." Freen said to Emily. "But we are trying to be friends again."