Chapter 9

Becky burst out laughing, and Nam was startled at first but then that laughter turned to quiet sobs, until she realized, Becky was crying.

"Nong..." Nam pulled her in for a hug again.

"She had our baby..."

"Cai... she did..." Nam said.

"Alone... she did it alone..."

Nam wasn't sure what Becky was insinuating. "Nong.. She wanted to tell you, she wanted to explain... but we didn't know how to reach you..."

"I should have been there." She said.

"She hurt you, nong. We understood that. She understood that... albeit eventually."

"She did hurt me. God, it still hurts so much."

Nam held her for a little while longer and then she caressed her face in her palms and said, "Can I ask you for a favour, nong?"

"Ka... what is it, phi?" Becky said.

"Give her a chance to talk to you. Just listen to her..."

"It hurts too much, P'Nam..." Becky said.

"I know... I'm not telling you that you need to forgive her or get back with her. That's completely your decision. But it's killing her how much she hasn't been able to fill you in on..."

"I know..."

"And I know she wants to know so much about you, about Emily, and about the last 4 years."

Becky wiped at her eyes then, needing to pull herself together. "I'll try, phi" she said.

"Thank you na ka, nong." Nam reached out and squeezed Becky's hands.

Just then they heard a sound from upstairs. It sounded like a scream. A pained moan.

Becky was startled, "What was that, phi?"

Nam was already off her seat, but she seemed calm.

"It's nothing... I'll go check..." Nam said walking towards the stairs.

"P'Nam, whose room did that cry come from?" Becky had to ask, even though she would recognize a part of that voice anywhere.

"It's Freen, she's probably having a nightmare again... it's alright, I know what to do." Nam was walking up again, and Becky rushed to her side.

"What do you mean? She has these often? What do you do when she has these nightmares? What are they about?" Becky was desperate to know.

Nam sighed. "Ka, they come to her every once in a while, nong. Some nights when I'm home I manage to comfort her through them. Some nights she battles them alone. Or she doesn't, alone."

They were almost near Freen's bedroom door now.

"I won't go in there." Becky said when Nam pushed the door slightly ajar.

Nam stood in the doorway and looked back at Becky. "You don't have to, she sees only you behind her closed eyes anyway..."

Becky understood. She stood frozen in place as she watched P'Nam enter Freen's room, and from the gap in the door she could see P'Nam sitting by Freen, gently holding her hand and trying to bring her out of her nightmare. Becky slid herself down against the wall beside the door, and sat there for a few minutes, simply listening.

"Nong... wake up na... it's just a bad dream..." Nam said.

"Phi... make her stop, please, don't let her leave..." Freen was crying.