Chapter 54

Emily huffed. "That girl had been asking so many questions for the last few days, saying so many things about you two!"

"Like what?" Becky asked.

"That you two seemed like you were already separated. That any day now, there'd be discussions about custody of the three of us. She'd been taunting me and getting on my nerves and I just wanted her to shut up."

"So you hit her?" Becky asked, slight anger in her tone.

"What else was I supposed to do?" Emily said.

"Well, tell a teacher, tell one of us... anything but hit her." Becky said.

"Becky ka, calm down na... it's alright, it's over now." Freen said, kissing over Emily's head.

"No, Freen. Emily, what you did was wrong, and you need to realize you can't go around hitting your classmates if they make you angry."

"It was hardly a scratch, Mami!" Emily said.

"Her eye was bleeding!"  Becky said.

"You should be proud I can throw a hit like that!!" Emily said.

"Are you not getting the point here, young woman?" Becky said.

"Becky..." Freen wanted to calm the situation down.

"You came this close to getting suspended from school!"

"I wouldn't have minded it, I like spending time at home with Auntie Didie."

"That's it, you're grounded for a week. No sleepovers, no texting your friends and no movie nights."

"What? Come on! Mama, are you going to let Mami do this?" Emily looked to her Mama for some assistance.

Freen didn't say anything.

Becky was quick to add, "And work on that attitude in all this given time, I don't understand where it's suddenly come from."

Becky walked over to Emily's bedside table, took her phone, switched it off and pocketed it.

"MAMI!!!"

"Honey... what you did was wrong na..." Freen added.

"I can't believe this! You don't even remember half of my life, you have no right....!" Emily began.

It stung.

It really stung. Freen stood up and walked a few steps back, not wanting to make Emily feel attacked.

"That's it. Apologize to your Ma, Emi!" Becky said firmly.

"Okay okay, that was horrible, I'm sorry na, I really am."

Freen nodded, but she was already overwhelmed. She moved to Becky's side, but couldn't control the tears, so she decided to step out of the room for a second.

From outside she heard Becky tell Emily,  "Your Mama didn't deserve that. I want you to sit here and think about what you've done and come down and apologize to her later."

"I will, I didn't mean to hurt her, Mami..." Emily said.

"I'll see you at dinner." Becky said and closed the door behind her.

When Becky looked at Freen, her natural instinct led her to wrap her in her arms. And she couldn't stop herself. Luckily Freen didn't grow stiff this time, she in fact broke down. Crying into Becky's shoulder.

"She didn't mean it na..." Becky assured.

"I know." Freen said.

Becky rubbed her palm in comforting circles on Freen's back. A few minutes later, Freen pulled away and wiped at her face.