Chapter 11

After dinner, Freen was doing the dishes when Becky came up behind her and said, "Freen, can I talk to you for a second?"

Freen was still getting used to hearing Becky's voice saying her name in that very Becky way after all this time. It left her lingering on just that one word.

"Sorry.. okay..." Freen turned around and looked Becky straight in the eye.

"I had to ask... about Khun Mae..."

"Hmm..?" Freen hummed.

"What does she know... about..."

"Emily? I'm sorry I know I should have asked you first before mentioning anything about Emily to her..."

"No, that's not what I meant." Becky said, shifting her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other, her hands now folded across her torso.

"I mean... does she know why I left...?" Becky said, looking visibly uncomfortable.

"Ka... I... I told her everything..." Freen said.
Becky nodded and then stared at the floor. "She didn't talk to me for months.." Freen continued.

Becky looked up then. And caught the tears in Freen's eyes.

Freen huffed a laugh then. "Rightly so. She was livid that I, her daughter, could make such a big mistake."

"Okay..." Becky then slowly turned around and was about to walk away.

"Becky wait..."

Becky stopped in her tracks but didn't turn around.

"I know you're not ready to talk about whatever happened, but I want you to know that I will wait. I will wait for however long it takes..."

"You'd be wasting your time, Freen." Becky interrupted and the walked away.

//

It was noon now. And Khun Nun would be here any minute. Becky couldn't stop thinking about what this reunion would feel like. When she was young and growing up with Freen as her closest friend, Khun Nun was like a second mother to her. Becky would spend so much time over at their home, and Khun Nun cared for her like her very own.

When Freen and Becky realized and came out about how they'd fallen in love with each other, it took Khun Nun by surprise. But she was never against their relationship. Always rooting for the two of them. Besides the fact that Freen wanted to move out of home way to early than expected, nothing about Becky had ever disappointed Khun Nun.

Becky wondered now, if Khun Nun had any hard feelings towards her, about leaving Freen. Not being by her side when she was pregnant with their baby, not being there for Beckett. But she didn't even know about Beckett, she didn't even know Freen bore a child. She had no clue. She argued in her own head while pacing the floor in the living room.

But that could be what Khun Nun may be upset with her about, that she stayed away long enough to not even know Freen had their baby.

Just then there was a knock on the door. Becky froze.

The kids were upstairs. Freen was in the kitchen. Becky's eyes got blurry but she saw a whoosh of brown hair through the haze. Freen went to get the door.

Becky pushed herself ahead to go closer towards the doorway.

Freen pulled the door open and Becky watched as Freen greeted her Mae, a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and then she went on to greet a man who had accompanied Khun Nun here. Then all eyes were on Becky.