Chapter 45

Freen sat there, trying to grasp what the doctor was telling her.

Her brain.

He was talking about her brain. HER brain. Something that belonged to her body had the ability to betray her like this. Like she had no control over it. Like it could decide one day to just... wipe out a big chunk of years from her life.

When her Mae tried explaining to her yesterday, she felt overwhelmed. It was an emotional day and her Mae insisted that she meet no one other than P'Nam and herself.
But today, today Khun Mae said she needed Freen to meet someone else, someone very important to her life. And Freen had so many questions, but she held back because the doctor came in to do his routine of questions to check if there's been any progress with her memories. But nothing.

Nothing.

Even as the doctor was still talking to her and Khun Mae standing right beside her bed, Freen could feel the tears beginning to brim at her eyes again. Nam who was standing near the door, leaning against a wall there had her eyes on her, and she too felt her pain, she seemed to wipe at her eyes and then she walked out.

"I'll come in again later this evening to check on you, Khun Sarocha Arms..."

"Chankimha." Khun Mae interjected. "Sarocha Chankimha. "

"Of course na kub." The doctor said then, smiled and walked out.

Once the doctor had stepped out, Khun Mae turned to face Freen and gave her a kiss on the forehead and said, "Don't beat yourself up luk, your brain will heal itself, in time. We just need to give it time..."

Freen wiped at a stray tear that rolled down her cheeks and nodded. She understood. She'd get her memories back, she believed that.

"Mae, she's here..." came Nam's voice from the door.

Freen looked over to see the woman from the earlier day walk in with Nam.

"Becky, can you wait until I give her a little context..."

"I've done my share of waiting. Mae, please, just let me talk to her..." Becky said more firmly, desperately, a sob threating to make its way out from her throat.

Worry etched into Freen's features, who was this woman, why was she talking that way with Mae? How did P'Nam know her?

"She is my daughter, I will decide when she's ready to.." Khun Mae said more firmly.

"She is my wi..."

"Mae ka, please na? Just let them talk, Becky's been away from her for too long." Nam interrupted.

Khun Mae sighed, then looked back at Freen, "Nam and I are going to be right outside, you need anything, you just call, na?"

"Wait, Mae, who is she?" Freen looked worried, unsure as she whispered in a state of panic to her Mae.

"She'll tell you. But you should know that I trust her, Nam trusts her, and most importantly, you trust her."

"Mae...?"

"It's okay, you'll be okay na..." Khun Mae re-assured. Khun Mae moved towards the door, and squeezed Becky's arm in comfort before leaving and closing the door behind her.

Once she heard the door close, Becky took a careful step forward, and she noticed Freen sit up straighter.

"Hi..." Becky said carefully.

"Hello." Freen said. And Becky saw the uncertainty.

The unfamiliarity. It hurt. It hurts so much. Freen was gazing upon her like she was a stranger. Like they didn't know each other inside and out.