Chapter 5

4 years later

"Emi, come here, honey!"

5 year old Emily who'd run towards the window to see if her school bus was here yet, came back towards where her Mami was standing near the kitchen counter.

Becky leaned down, and kissed her forehead.
"Promise me you're going to be at your best behaviour this year at camp."

"I will, Mami. Trust me na."

"I do." Becky kissed her forehead and Emily gave her a tight hug.

"Well well, why wasn't I invited for this massive love fest na?" came Mind's voice.

Emily laughed. "Of course you're invited too, Auntie Mind!" She said.

"Come here you little bear!" Mind carried her in her arms spinning her around a few times. "God! You're getting heavier each time!"

Emily chuckled. Just then they heard the bus honking from outside.

"I have to go now. Put me down!" Emily said excitedly.

"But I don't want to let you go!" Mind played around. Becky laughed.

"But I have to go! There's a new bunch of 4 year olds from the town joining us this year and I've been elected a volunteer to make them feel at home!" Emily said proudly.

"Okay, okay ka..." Mind let her down and she ran to kiss Becky's cheek.

"Bye Mami, I'll see you in 2 days!" Emily put on her bag and ran out towards the bus. But Becky noticed her stop all of a sudden about 3 steps away from the bus, she looked thoughtful. She ran back towards Becky standing at the door, and then ran past her into the house.

"What's wrong, honey?!" Becky worried. She hardly made it to the staircase when she heard Emily's footsteps running down the staircase, seemingly have retrieved what she returned to get.

"I forgot this, Mami!" She said as she held out the pendant her Mami had gifted her when she was 4.

Becky's heart felt funny. This pendant had so many memories locked inside it. Emily had no clue. All she was allowed to know was that it was a very important piece of jewellery for Becky, and Emily was entrusted to always keep it safe. Becky never opened the locket and Emily was oblivious to the fact that it even was a locket in the first place.

Becky smiled and took it from her, made her turn around, and effortlessly hooked the chain behind her neck. "Go. You're perfect." She said to her little one. Emily grinned from ear to ear and ran out.

As the bus left, Mind came and stood by Becky's side and spoke,"One day she's going to open that locket and bombard you with questions, nong."

Becky's smile faded. She thought to herself for a moment. "Well, then let's hope I figure out the answers before that day comes." Becky walked back into their home.

"You should call her. Or at least reach out to that friend of yours, what's her name, Looknam?"

Becky thought for a moment.

Mind saw this as progress. It had been around 4 years now since Becky had left her life in Bangkok, behind. She was practicing law here now, in Chiang Mai. In the first two years, bringing up the subject of Freen was like asking for hell to reign down on you. These days however, Becky seems to be listening at least.

"Weren't you and Looknam pretty good friends?"

"We were..." She said, then corrected herself "are..." She continued. "I think..." Becky said.