Chapter 48

That evening when Freen woke up, it was way past lunch time. 4 pm, she saw on a bedside alarm clock. She went into the bathroom, and took her time to freshen up.

Splashed some water on her face, tied her hair up into a bun and took a few minutes to just stare at herself in the mirror before her. She opened up the cabinet behind the mirror to find a pair of toothbrushes.

One was probably Becky's. She would need to ask which one was hers. She huffed. The moved to the shower cubicle and noticed a set of toiletries, and she hated that from the three varieties of shampoos there, she didn't know what her preference was. And even worse, she had no clue what her wife's preference was. She walked back out to where the wardrobe was, opened it and mindlessly picked out a comfortable t-shirt to change into.

She walked downstairs to find everyone seated in the living room, she stopped on the staircase to take in everyone.

P'Nam, Becky, Emily and Sam. Where was Beckett? Had Khun Mae left?

"Nong, you're up!" Nam said from the couch when she spotted her.

"Mama!" Emily exclaimed, and made her way halfway up the stairs to a smiling Freen who had her arms open to greet her daughter again. "I'm so glad you're back home again!"

Freen wanted to say she's happy to be home again, but the place was still growing on her. It didn't feel like home yet. "I'm just happy to see you, baby girl."

"Come on na, I'll tell you want happened at football practice today!" Emily took her hand and led her down the last few steps.

Becky had gotten up from her seat then and asked, "Are you hungry? I'll warm up lunch for you na?"

"Actually, no, I'm not feeling too hungry right now." Freen said.

"Okay... later then...?" Becky asked.

"Ka, for sure." Freen said to her, while being pulled to the couch by Emily.

Becky had prepared Freen's favourite pasta for lunch. It was a long shot, but any chance that anything could bring back a memory, even if it was a small one, Becky wanted to take it.

"Where's Beckett?" Freen asked, looking between Nam and Becky.

"At track practice..." Emily replied so nonchalantly, that Freen figured it was something he probably did regularly and she's supposed to know about it.

"I'm sorry na, you... you probably don't remember that..." Emily said carefully, hating herself for assuming.

"That's okay..."

"Beckett's in the track team, and Emi plays for the school's women's football team..." Nam filled in for her.

"Alright, I'll remember that." Freen said, now looking at Emily with a warm smile, hoping to not make the girl feel bad.

Becky looked on from the other couch, as Sam climbed into Freen's lap from Nam's arms, and Emily rambled to her about the day's events at school, being extra careful to explain who ever person she was mentioning was.

Freen looked like she was keen on making the effort to memorize the names, take all of it in.
But Becky couldn't help but feel a little sorrow. That Freen, at this point in time, doesn't remember Emily's first game, neither the goals she'd scored, neither the kisses of pride they'd shared on the bleachers every time she lifted a trophy with her team, and the same for all of Beckett's achievements so far.

Becky tried to break herself out of the reverie. She should stay positive through this. This was no one's fault, they should only look forward, maybe sometime she can sit Freen down and tell her about all those sweet victories, and also about the hard losses. About how their children have been taught by them to handle defeat just as well as they handle victory.