13✯

"Everyone, thank you for coming today," Ares said, projecting his voice across the sports hall.

"As you know, today is to record your level of fitness, and if it reaches our standards, you are through to the next stage. So, can the parents and guardians go to the left side of the hall and candidates go to the right." He relaxed when there was now around fifty wolves for Zayn to consider choosing.

He didn't bother separating the males and females, they all have to run the same distance and do the same fitness circuit. He has the average pull-ups, push-ups, and weights for the genders, but he'll refer to it if he has to; otherwise, he'll keep an equal outlook.

Ares turned to Zayn, expecting him to give out some commands. His son nodded and looked around, watching candidates with confidence.

"Myself, Liam, and my Beta wolf Louis will be watching everyone closely, and for the warm-up, you have to run twelve laps around the room in your human form. If you're not fit enough on two legs, you'll be mediocre on four. The warm-up starts now, go!" he yelled, feeling content to be in charge of something again.

"Come on, let's meet the parents." Ares, Eirene, Louis, and Zayn moved to the left side of the room, careful to avoid the runners, while Liam, Harry, and Vincent  stood near the door.

"I bet it's weird for Zayn knowing that people who will be by his side forever are in this room," Harry said, turning to his brother. "Is it weird for you?"

Liam nodded. "The bond between Zayn and Louis is a strength I only see between families. Zayn is expected to feel that way instantly, but he'll find it hard."

"Because of what happened with the omegas?"

Liam nodded, and Vincent  patted his son's shoulders.

"You have a great gift now Li, I'm sure you'll use it when Zayn picks his pack. It will be easier for you to see if he can trust them and Zayn wll believe in your judgement."

After the candidates finished their run, only seven didn't make it and left immediately. Zayn praised those who did it with ease and encouraged those who struggled. There was one female who struggled the most but pushed through with everything she had, and Zayn admired her determination.

"What's your name?" Zayn asked.

"Piper Brady" she breathed, holding out a hand for the alpha to shake. Piper was broad and tall. Her face was kind with eyes as calm as an untouched pool.

"Good job, you did well. Drink some water and get your breath back for the circuits."

"I will, thank you." Piper lowered her head with respect and Zayn glanced over to Liam, who nodded. Liam watched everyone who Zayn talked to and so far, Piper was the only one who sparked an interest.

"You have a five-minute rest!" Zayn yelled. "As soon as the alarm goes, start the circuit!" The Alpha turned and made his way back to his mate. In a room full of other werewolves, he could only smell Liam.

"Is there anyone jumping out for you? Does
anyone attract your attention?" he asked, standing as close as he could be.

Liam rested against him in return, knowing Zayn needed physical contact.

"Only Piper so far. There are wolves who I definitely know you won't choose. I don't know how to explain it, their auras are just dull and I feel nothing when I look at them."

"That's good. It means you are narrowing the search. There are far too many wolves in here."

The sports hall started to smell like sweat, and the room was getting warmer with the moisture in the air. It was loud enough to bearly hear a mind-link as trainers squeaked and wolves talked.