57✯

TW- sensitive content ahead

Zyaire pulled Arzhel away from Nathan's body. His wife Kayla gasped for air. He knew she was dying and nor he or Niall could do anything about it.

The demon and angel found themselves in the heart of the battle, surrounded by fighting werewolves, angels, and demons. All the demons were after him and his mother. Zyaire recognised some of the devil's followers. He had been away from hell for six thousand years. As a twenty-four-year-old, he hadn't aged enough for them not to identify him. He looked almost the same, and they lunged for him with every opportunity.

Zayn nudged Liam's nozzle on the way past. He couldn't think about the fact that he just killed Vic, his mate's cousin. He couldn't think about how he did it with such ease.

Zayn had to fight and defend himself, defend his territory and his family.

"Li, start fighting!" he thought to the God of
lightning who's eyes fixed on Nathan. "Remember what you said to me? No matter who we lose, we can't grieve until after the war!"

Liam's mind rebooted itself when Zayn was knocked back by a group of hell-hounds. The cry from his wolf when his back hit the ground alerted Zayn's pack.

With lightning bolts flickering around Liam's  paws, he left his mother to protect his husband. For the first time, he used the sharp teeth of his wolf to bite into another being. The demon screamed when he locked his jaw around her shoulder and flung her off his mate. Demon's tasted sour and acidic, like poison.

Piper had tackled the others while Phoenix was busy confusing the demons. He was blatantly a werewolf, but they could tell he had demon qualities. Most hell-hounds hesitated before attacking him, which gave Phoenix a substantial advantage.

Vincent nervously watched the demon's push through the crowd, getting closer with each second. His heart raced at an unnatural speed.

Everyone at the house had either looked away or stared at Nathan and Kayla until they were no longer visible, engulfed with the fighting.

Lilith glared at Lucifer. She stood with Vincent because they had partnered up for the war, but every fibre in her body ached to run for Lucifer and kill him once and for all.

The devil stared at Zyaire  as he picked Arzhel up, seconds before an arrow shot into the angel's leg. A dark energy pulsed in Lucifer's gaze. She knew he wanted to kill Arzhel.

"Eloise, you should go. Lucifer wants-"

"No." Eloise silenced Lilith, knowing what she would say. "My son is fighting for his life, and we're all just standing here. As long as Zyaire is in danger, I'm not leaving this field" She started tieing her long black hair into a bun and took off her jacket. "I should be protecting my boy."

Zac, Arzhel's father, was fidgety and tense. His eyes glued to his son, feeling like he should be doing more than standing with Maeve, his soulmate.

Maeve rested a gentle hand on his arm and their eyes connected.

"Go if you think it's right. They're struggling out there."

Tears clouded her vision. She wouldn't go after him; she didn't know how to fight to defend herself. She would only be a liability.

Zac nodded, leaning close so he could whisper. "If the demons invade the house, run and don't look back. I'll find you. I promise"

Maeve allowed him to press his lips to her forehead, cherishing the feeling of a kiss before he turned and ran through the crowd.