48✯

Liam's mind was thrown all the way back to when he was seventeen, lived in a small house with his dad, mum, and brother. He used to get up early and go to college. He felt depressed, full of anxiety, and on the brink of self-destruction. Zayn talked to him in his head, but he thought he was going crazy. Werewolves didn't exist, neither did demons, angels, vampires, and other worlds.

The last time he saw his mother's face, she slapped him when the Malik's invited Nathan over to their bonfire, and Liam tried to confront her in front of their families. After that, Elara left a goodbye note and divorce letters for Vincent.

Nobody had seen her or heard from her since, or so they thought.

The white wolf was spotted thousands of years ago on the edge of the Malik's territory and had been watching them ever since. Nobody knew it was Elara. Only Zayn, his pack, and Ares  had seen her, and they weren't familiar enough with her scent to pinpoint who it was, but they did recognise her smell.

After all this time, Elara Payne stood in front of her son after shifting from the animal she loathed. Her hair had lightened from years of being in the sun.

It's length covered her front and stopped by her waist, hiding her topless body.

"Wait." Hailey's voice sliced through Liam's concentration, forcing him back to the present.

"You just called her your mum. That's your mother?" Her tone wasn't as snarky as it was before.

"Liam" Elara said. Her voice hurt her son: it was too familiar.

"My name is Aiolos." The God clenched his hands, but his voice was quiet and frail. His body wasn't sure how to react. Should he feel angry? Upset? Pleased that his mother was still alive? Disappointed in himself for buckling under her gaze? Fearful of her return? Liam knew he should ask her questions, but his words lodged in his throat, unable to be said with confidence.

"That is not the name you were supposed to have," Elara whispered. Her heart was thumping. She told herself that if she ever got the chance to speak to her children again, Elara would say to them that she made a mistake. She would apologise and beg to be a part of their lives, but through the years, her family moved on and were happier without her.

"Grace, you're Aiolos' mother?" Hailey was now standing next to the God of lightning, staring at the woman with both uncertainty and curiosity.

"Yes."

"No," Liam said forcefully. "She's not my mother, not anymore." The electricity bolts flickered around his hands. Hailey felt the static atmosphere around him. "You walked out of my life so many years ago; forgot what you looked like."

"Don't say that, please, I've been trying to get you back-"

"Wait, wait, wait." Hailey stood between them with his hands up.

"You" he said and pointed at Elara, "have been coming to the God's for thousands of years, feeding us information about Aiolos and what he was doing to deem himself as unworthy to be our leader. From day one, you said you could prove that he was unworthy. If you're his mother, why would you do that to your son?" Hailey pinched
the bridge of her nose with a long and tired sigh.

"Yeah I'm a horrible person, and I'm not fond of Liam, but you're his family."

"We were family," Liam corrected. "She never wanted me to be a werewolf, let alone a God. Her parents were the most dangerous werewolf hunters in the country. For all you know, she could have been getting information from the Gods and plotting against you- this entire time-" Liam's words slowed, and his eyes narrowed. "How are you a werewolf?"