41✯

Liam stared at his reflection in the mirror. A twenty-three-year-old man stared back. His skin had tanned from years of spending all his time in the summer's sun. He always enjoyed to be outdoors, and the wolf within him preferred to spend his time in the garden. He ran a hand down his arm, feeling at peace with his own body, enjoying the reflection looking back at him. He never thought it would be possible to love himself, to like what he saw.

One thing Liam wished he could say to his younger self: he's stronger than he thinks. He has always been stronger than the person he believed he could be.

Zayn stalked into the room with a moody frown, like someone had trod on his foot or insulted his favourite TV show. He felt Liam's eyes follow him, but he didn't give him the satisfaction of connecting their gaze.

"Did Louis eat all of your pancakes again?" Liam asked, raising a brow when he got a blunt grunt as a response. Before Zayn could shove the toothbrush into his mouth, Liam took it from his grip. "Let's talk."

"About?"

"Your mood. You've been really grumpy ever since the vampire world entered ours. I thought after last night, you might be a bit happier."

Zayn rubbed his eyes with a sigh. "I'm just tired. I didn't sleep well because of last night. Seeing Nana again... I didn't want to sleep in case it was just a dream, or I'd forget her face by the morning."

Liam turned his mate towards the mirror, holding his arms and resting their cheeks together. "I know you feel more at peace now. What else is bothering you?"

Zayn watched himself, surprised by his own gloomy scowl. "You already know what's up. Why do you bother asking?"

"I want to hear it from you. We've been together for so long Zayn. Sometimes I wonder if you forget how to express your emotions to me."

"Or sometimes I don't bother because you always know how I feel."

Liam sighed and handed back his toothbrush.

"Anyway," Zayn continued, "are you coming for a run with the pack?"

"Excuse me, don't try to change the subject." Liam's voice was drowned out by the sound of the running water. "Fine. If you 're not gonna tell me how you feel, then I'll tell you how you feel. You're scared. Having an entrance to the vampire world has made this war feel a lot more real."

Zayn stopped with the toothbrush in his mouth.

"The war is breathing down our necks, and I don't feel ready for it. I'm not prepared to say goodbye to people I love, not knowing if the next time I'll see them they'll be dead. Nobody is safe, and that's why I'm scared."

"Oh, Zayn." Liam waited until he finished. The concern leaked through his hazel eyes as it always did, open and raw.

"We can't think like that. You're supposed to be the strong-minded one here," he smiled, squeezing his shoulder.

"It seems like that's not the case today. I see you got over the God's arrival quickly."

"I'm their leader. It's time I started acting like it. I'm sick of being walked all over." Liam could hear Harry telling him that people take advantage of his kindness. "I know what we can do today to take your mind off things."

"What?" Zayn mumbled, running his finger along Liam's arm until reaching his hand.

"Hunt down the white wolf"

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

Louis entered the kitchen, almost tripping over Harry's walking stick in his quest to kissing him.